Springfield Slugs CC for Series Win
SPRINGFIELD - A two-run home run by Brian O'Keefe in the seventh inning Saturday night cemented a 6-3 Cardinals victory over Corpus Christi before 6,768 fans at Hammons Field.
With their fifth setback in a stretch of six games, the Hooks (32-35) will need a pair of wins and two Midland losses over the next two days to force a tie in the first-half race.
Springfield took flight in the first when lead-off hitter Dylan Carlson clubbed the first pitch from Brett Adcock (1-7) over the centerfield fence for his 10th home run of the season.
The Cardinals (28-40) doubled their run total in the fourth thanks to back-to-back two-baggers by Zach Kirtley and Rayder Ascanio. Nine-hole hitter Jose Martinez added an RBI single to make it 4-1 Springfield.
Tommy Parsons, making his Double-A debut, scattered eight hits over 6.1 innings to earn the victory.
Ronnie Dawson began the third by blasting his ninth home run of the year over the right-field wall to put Corpus Christi on the scoreboard. It marked Dawson's second home run in as many games.
Dawson and Luis Santana opened the fifth with back-to-back doubles to make it a 4-2 contest.
Layne Henderson entered in relief for Corpus Christi and dispatched the first nine men he faced. Johan Mieses disrupted the run in the seventh with his third walk of the game. O'Keefe was next and launched a 1-0 pitch over the wall in right for a four-run bulge.
Carlos Canelon cracked a lead-off dinger in the ninth but Seth Elledge induced a pair of ground balls, including a double play, to net his third save.
Enoli Paredes is slated to take the ball Sunday afternoon in a must-win game for the Hooks. Lefty Austin Warner will make the start for the Cardinals. First pitch 2:10.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Riders Come up Short against Naturals - Frisco RoughRiders
- Parsons Leads Cardinals to 6-3 Win over Hooks in Double-A Debut - Springfield Cardinals
- Late Offense Propels Naturals to Victory at Frisco - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Shut out Travelers - Midland RockHounds
- Springfield Slugs CC for Series Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Cesar Nicolas Named New Travs Skipper - Arkansas Travelers
- Mieses 3-Run Homer Propels Cardinals to 4-2 Win over Hooks - Springfield Cardinals
- Drillers Bury Sod Poodles Behind De Fratus - Tulsa Drillers
- Sod Poodles Fall 4-1 in Series Opener with Drillers - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.