Spokane's Bats Heat Up, 11-4
EVERETT, Wash. - The Spokane Indians (66-49) broke ahead in the fifth inning, ultimately defeating the Everett AquaSox (61-55) 11-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
An AquaSox fielding error in the top of the first allowed Spokane to score their first run. They scored again when Aaron Schunk singled, driving in Hunter Stovall to give the Indians a 2-0 lead. Kennie Taylor put the 'Sox on the board with a single to right field in the bottom of the second, driving in Joseph Rosa for the Frogs' first run of the game.
The Indians' bats came alive in the top of the fifth, knocking in seven runs. Daniel Cope got the ball rolling with a solo homer, followed by RBI singles from Jack Blomgren and Brenton Doyle. Kyle Datres wrapped it up with a grand slam, giving Spokane a 9-1 lead. Cade Marlowe drove in Connor Hoover with a single to left field in the bottom of the inning, but the Indians extended their lead with two more RBI singles in the sixth.
Rosa led off the bottom of the sixth with a home run to right-center field, putting the score at 11-3. The AquaSox didn't score again until the bottom of the ninth when Justin Lavey singled to right field, driving in Taylor to score their fourth and final run of the game.
WRAPPING IT UP
On the mound, RHP Connor Phillips made his AquaSox debut, pitching four complete innings with seven strikeouts. At the plate, the Frogs registered 10 hits, highlighted by Rosa's home run and a double from Noelvi Marte.
The AquaSox return to Funko Field on Friday, September 17 at 1:05 p.m. for their fourth game against the Spokane Indians. It's the last Funko Friday of the year! This week's giveaway is an assortment of MLB POPs!
• Discuss this story on the High-A West League message board...
High-A West League Stories from September 17, 2021
- Late-Game Rally Falls Short, 12-11 - Everett AquaSox
- Indians to Host All High-A West Playoff Games Starting Tuesday - Spokane Indians
- Hillsboro Hops Announce Details for 2022 Schedule - Hillsboro Hops
- C's on Wrong End of Back-And-Forth Battle - Vancouver Canadians
- Hops Clinch "Battle of the Boro" with Third Straight W - Hillsboro Hops
- Spokane's Bats Heat Up, 11-4 - Everett AquaSox
- Ems Can't Capitalize On Teng's Stellar Start - Eugene Emeralds
- Tri-City Completes Late Rally - Tri-City Dust Devils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.