Spokane Picks Jack Finley Sixth Overall in Bantam Draft
CALGARY - The Spokane Chiefs selected forward Jack Finley with the sixth overall pick of the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft in Calgary on Thursday morning.
"Jack is a big man, plays up the middle and understands the game," said the Chiefs' Assistant General Manager of Hockey Operations, Chris Moulton. "He plays hard and smart and produces. He also showed constant improvement throughout the season and that's important to us."
"You just can't find bigger bodies that play center like him. He's a great combination of size, skill and character. He plays a 200-foot game and having that type of big body who can play in any situation is invaluable. We're always trying to acquire guys like Finley and just couldn't pass up on him."
At 6-foot-3 and 184 pounds, Finley fits the "power forward" description as a big body with a scoring touch and offensive instincts. The Kelowna, B.C. native put up 23 goals and 25 assists for 48 points with the Pursuit of Excellence Bantam Prep team of the Canadian Sport School Hockey League (CSSHL) last season. He added a goal and five assists in five games at the annual John Reid Memorial Tournament.
Finley has hockey bloodlines as his father Jeff played over 700 games in the NHL as a defenseman from 1987-2004, primarily with the St. Louis Blues. He was a third round pick by the New York Islanders in the 1985 NHL Entry Draft and played out his junior career with the Portland Winter Hawks.
"It helps, because it helps them understand what it takes to be a hockey players, what kind of dedication and off-ice commitment it takes," Moulton said when asked about the importance of Finley's bloodlines. "But Jack earned everything on his own merit. He's a heck of a hockey player and we're very happy to have him."
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 4, 2017
- Silvertips Select 13 Prospects in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets Take 11 in 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Silvertips Select Defenseman Ronan Seeley with the 20th Overall Selection in the 2017 WHL Bantam Dra - Everett Silvertips
- First-Rounder Seth Jarvis Highlights Hawks' Bantam Draft - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Draft for Future in 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Tri-City Americans
- T-Birds Select Payton Mount in First Round of Bantam Draft - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Blazers Select 11 Players in 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Kamloops Blazers
- WHL Completes 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - WHL
- WHL to Host 2017 WHL Bantam Draft Thursday in Calgary - WHL
- WHL Recognizes 2016-17 Award Winners - WHL
- Chiefs' 2017 Class Headlined by Jack Finley at Sixth Overall - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Select 10 Players in 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Prince Albert Raiders
- Regina Pats Make 10 Selections at the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Regina Pats
- Hurricanes Conclude 2017 Bantam Draft - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Rebels Make Nine Bantam Draft Selections - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets Select Forward Ethan Bowen with 1st Pick in Bantam Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Giants Draft Forward and Defenceman in Second Round - Vancouver Giants
- Spokane Picks Jack Finley Sixth Overall in Bantam Draft - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- 2018 Chiefs Training Camp Dates Officially Announced
- Chiefs Acquire Forward Michael King from Kootenay
- Chiefs Trade Riley McKay to Saskatoon for Two Draft Picks
- Arbuzov Signs WHL Standard Player Agreement
- Chiefs Select Russian Defenseman Yegor Arbuzov in CHL Import Draft