Spirit Acquire Draft Picks from Battalion for Rights to Adam Fantilli
Saginaw, MI. - Saginaw Spirit GM Dave Drinkill announced today (Sept. 13) the organization has exercised the defected player rule within the Ontario Hockey League with 2020 first round pick Adam Fantilli, and have traded his playing rights to the North Bay Battalion.
Under this rule, the Spirit will receive a first round pick in the 2022 OHL Priority Selection one slot after Fantilli was drafted (taken 18th overall, Spirit receive 19th overall) as compensation for the player not reporting to the team.
The Spirit will also receive a sixth round pick (SAR) in 2022, a conditional second round pick (KGN) in 2024, a conditional second round pick (NB) in 2025, a conditional third round pick (OS) in 2023, and a conditional fourth round pick (SAG) in 2024.
The conditions of the picks are as follows:
Saginaw receives a second round pick (KGN) in 2024, and a second round pick (NB) in 2025 if Adam Fantilli plays in one OHL game. In addition, Saginaw receives a third round pick (OS) in 2023 and fourth round pick (SAG) in 2024 if Adam Fantilli plays one OHL game in 2021-22 or 2022-23.
"I would like to thank the Fantilli family for taking the time to consider playing for the Saginaw Spirit, but we respect their decision to play this season in Chicago of the USHL, and then the University of Michigan the following year," said Drinkill. "We knew when we drafted Adam that he had different high-end hockey options available to him, but still felt it was the right choice to take him at pick 18 in the 2020 draft. Going into the pick we knew if he decided not to join our organization, we would receive a first round pick back in compensation from the league by moving his playing rights, and activating the defected player rule put in place, which we did today. We wish Adam and the Fantilli family nothing but the best moving forward with his hockey career."
The Saginaw Spirit will now have two, first round picks in the 2022 OHL Priority Selection.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from September 13, 2021
- Troops Land Fantilli's Rights - North Bay Battalion
- Spirit Acquire Draft Picks from Battalion for Rights to Adam Fantilli - Saginaw Spirit
- Ryan O'Dell Commits to Generals - Oshawa Generals
- Rangers Players Attending NHL Camps - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saginaw Spirit Stories
- Lennox Makes 21 Saves in Loss to Firebirds Thursday
- Spirit Continue Homestand Thursday against Flint
- Spirit Acquire Justin O'Donnell from Sting
- Spirit Sweep the Spits with Overtime Victory Saturday Night
- Spirit Host Spitfires for Light the Night Presented by Leukemia and Lymphoma Society