Sounders FC Re-Signs Defenders Hurtado and Ianni
RENTON, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC has re-signed defenders Jhon Kennedy Hurtado and Patrick Ianni, the club announced today. Per Major League Soccer and club policy, terms were not disclosed.
"We are very excited about bringing back Patrick and Jhon again next season," said Head Coach Sigi Schmid. "Both players have been with us since the start and it was important for us to keep continuity and consistency along a successful back line."
Hurtado, 28, joined Sounders FC in 2009 from Colombia's Deportivo Cali. A MLS All-Star and finalist for MLS Defender of the Year in his first season, Hurtado has become one of the league's top center backs and has helped establish the Seattle defense as one of the best in MLS. Despite missing much of the 2010 season due to injury, Hurtado has started 106 of 110 appearances across all competitions with one goal and three assists. His 81 appearances in regular-season play ranks sixth all-time in club history.
Ianni, 27, has played the past four seasons in Seattle after he was acquired in a trade with the Houston Dynamo in 2009. Ianni made 21 appearances across all competitions in 2012, and his 74 league appearances for Sounders FC ranks eighth in club history. The UCLA product and No. 8 overall pick in the 2006 SuperDraft scored the 2012 MLS Goal of the Year on a side-winding volley against Sporting Kansas City. Overall, Ianni has started 83 of 98 appearances across all competitions for Seattle.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 14, 2012
- Flurry of Activity for the Galaxy on Re-Entry Draft Day - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Experience Draws Revs to Barrett, Freeman - New England Revolution
- Galaxy Select Two in Stage 2 of Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FC Dallas Selects Stephen Keel in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC Select Defender Danny Califf in Stage Two of MLS Re-Entry Process - Toronto FC
- Edson Buddle Traded to Colorado Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Revolution picks two in Stage 2 of Re-Entry Process - New England Revolution
- 14 Players Selected in Re-Entry Process Stage Two Draft - MLS
- Rapids Acquire Forward Edson Buddle in Trade with Galaxy - Colorado Rapids
- San Jose Earthquakes Select Three in Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Vanouver Whitecaps FC Select Paulo Junior in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Selects DF/MF Lovel Palmer in Re-Entry Draft Stage 2 - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Selects Midfielder John Thorrington in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Re-Sign Hall and Wiedeman - Toronto FC
- Rapids Select Eric Avila in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Improve Position in Stage 2 of Friday's MLS Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA and LA Galaxy Trade 2012 Stage Two Re-Entry Process Positions - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo Announce 2013 Preseason Schedule - Houston Dynamo
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Defenders Hurtado and Ianni - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Announce Results of Landmark General Manager Vote - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.