Sounders FC Concludes Tucson Training Camp with Final Exhibition Match Versus FC Dallas
TUCSON, ARIZ. - Seattle Sounders FC played its third and final preseason match in the desert on Saturday morning, as the Rave Green lost 2-1 against Western Conference foe FC Dallas at Tucson's Kino Sports Complex. Fielding a largely first-choice starting XI, Head Coach Brian Schmetzer deployed the likes of FIFA World Cup stalwarts Nicolás Lodeiro, Raúl Ruidíaz and Gustav Svensson, in addition to numerous veterans and TAM-level players. Following 11 days in Arizona that included exhibition contests against Houston, Portland and today's contest with Dallas, the Rave Green return home to the Emerald City this evening. With the 2019 MLS season just two weeks away now, Brian Schmetzer's side continues preseason preparations with an upcoming midweek international friendly at home against Uruguayan power Club National.
Seattle's starting unit played the first 78 minutes of Saturday morning's friendly vs. FC Dallas (Mike Fiechtner / Seattle Sounders FC)
FC Dallas drew first blood in the 33rd minute, with an incisive through ball coming from central midfield by way of Santiago Mosquera. That initial pass found Michael Barrios on the right wing, with the Colombian finding Dominique Badji charging through the six-yard-box to put Dallas into an early lead.
Jordan Morris looked to have leveled the match in the 57th minute, with the Mercer Island native making one of his signature runs through the Dallas backline, rounding goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez before finishing cleanly in front of goal. Lodeiro sprung Morris with a hallmark precision pass, but Morris was ruled just offside by both the linesman and the ensuing video review process.
17-year-old substitute Thomas Roberts put FC Dallas up 2-0 with a belted shot from the edge of Seattle's area in the 80th minute.
Seattle put itself on the board in stoppage time, as Nouhou was able finish a cross from Henry Wingo after a clever dummy by Handwalla Bwana inside the area, but ultimately the match ended on the 2-1 score.
As part of its 2019 preseason preparations, Sounders FC is next set to host Uruguay's Club Nacional in a friendly at CenturyLink Field on Wednesday, February 20 at 7:30 p.m. PT. One of the most storied clubs in South America, Nacional has won the Uruguayan Primera División 46 times, in addition to three Copa Libertadores titles and three Intercontinental Cups.
Seattle Sounders FC 1 - FC Dallas 2
Saturday, February 16, 2019
Venue: Kino Sports Complex I Tucson, Arizona
Weather: 53 degrees and clear
DAL - Dominique Badji (Michael Barrios, Santiago Mosquera) 34'
DAL - Thomas Roberts 80'
SEA - Nouhou (Henry Wingo) 90' + 1'
DAL - Reto Ziegler (caution) 18'
DAL - Carlos Gruezo (caution) 21'
SEA - Nicolás Lodeiro (caution) 43'
SEA -Saad Abdul-Saalam^ (caution) 65'
DAL - Bryan Acosta (caution) 89'
Seattle Sounders FC - Stefan Frei (Bryan Meredith 78'); Kelvin Leerdam (Saad Abdul-Saalam^ 64'), Chad Marshall (Jordy Delem 78'), Kim Kee-hee (Jonathan Campbell 78'), Brad Smith (Nouhou 78'); Cristian Roldan (Danny Leyva+ 78'), Gustav Svensson (Alex Roldan 78'), Jordan Morris (Harry Shipp 71'), Nicolás Lodeiro (Henry Wingo 78'), Víctor Rodríguez (Handwalla Bwana 78'); Raúl Ruidíaz (Will Bruin 78')
Substitutes not used - Aleks Berkolds, Jordan McCrary
+ Player currently signed to USL roster
^ Guest player
FC Dallas - Jesse Gonzalez (Jimmy Maurer 78'); Ryan Hollingshead (Marquinhos Pedroso 78'), Matt Hedges (Bressan 78'), Reto Ziegler, Reggie Cannon; Carlos Gruezo, Jacori Hayes (Bryan Acosta 67'); Santiago Mosquera (Pablo Aránguiz 78'), Paxton Pomykal (Thomas Roberts 78'), Michael Barrios (Jesus Ferreira 78'); Dominique Badji (Zdenek Ondrasek 78').
Substitutes not used - Callum Montgomery, John Nelson, Brandon Servania
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 16, 2019
- Orlando City SC Defeats NYCFC in OC Invitational - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Continue Mobile Mini Sun Cup Play against New York Red Bulls Saturday Night - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Opens Arizona Stint with 4-1 Win over Phoenix Rising FC - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the Suncoast Invitational - D.C. United
- Adi, Mattocks record goals in FCC's first match of Carolina Challenge Cup - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Fall to Minnesota United FC, 1-0, in Orlando City Invitational - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Draws Columbus Crew SC 1-1 in Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Impact Defeats the Philadelphia Union 1-0 in Third Preseason Game - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Defeat LAFC 3-0 in Preseason Contest - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Drops 3-0 Contest against San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Defeats Seattle Sounders FC, 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Concludes Tucson Training Camp with Final Exhibition Match Versus FC Dallas - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Loan Logan Gdula to Phoenix Rising FC - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC Signs Chase Gasper and Hassani Dotson - Minnesota United FC
- LyesMTLin Dallas for the eMLS League Series Two Tournament - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Opens Preseason Play with Closed-Door Scrimmage against Uruguayan Side Penarol
- Sounders FC's CONCACAF Champions League Match at CD Olimpia on February 20 Moved to San Pedro Sula
- Sounders FC Becomes Founding Partner of Seattle Chapter of Women in Sports and Events
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Shane O'Neill
- Sounders FC Selects Seattle University Midfielder Julian Avila-Good in Third Round of 2020 MLS SuperDraft