Sounders FC Acquires Midfielder Lamar Neagle
RENTON, WASH. - The Seattle Sounders FC has acquired midfielder Lamar Neagle from the Montreal Impact in exchange for an international roster spot through the end of the 2014 season, the club announced today.
A Federal Way native, Neagle, 25, is joining Sounders FC for the third time following successful stints with the club in 2009 and 2011. Neagle spent the 2012 MLS season with the expansion Montreal Impact after he was traded by Seattle along with Mike Fucito to Montreal in exchange for forward Eddie Johnson. Neagle scored two goals with two assists in 23 appearances last season.
"We are very excited about bringing Lamar back to Seattle," said Sporting Director Chris Henderson. "He is an attacking midfielder who plays smart and adds versatility to our club. Lamar scored a few key goals for us in the past while being a very consistent player. He is a great teammate and positive presence in the locker room."
Neagle initially joined Sounders FC on June 10, 2009, before earning Golden Boot and MVP honors in USL-2 for the Charleston Battery in 2010. Following the 2010 season, Neagle was signed by Finland's IFK Mariehamn, where he played in five leagues matches, scoring two goals. He then signed with Seattle as a free agent on March 2, 2011, and scored a career-high five goals with two assists in 23 appearances. During the 2011 MLS season, Neagle became the second player in club history to net a hat trick.
Neagle was a three-time Mountain Pacific Sports Federation first team selection while at UNLV. He earlier played for Federal Way's Thomas Jefferson High School.
"It's amazing to come home and rejoin the Sounders," said Neagle. "The fans have had so much support for me throughout my career and Sigi was the first coach to give me a chance. It'll be fun for me to connect back with the guys and get to work. I'm looking forward to having a strong season."
Sounders FC opens the 2013 MLS season on March 2 by hosting the Montreal Impact on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field.
Sounders FC season tickets are now available. To select seats, fans may visit www.SoundersFC.com or call 877-MLS-GOAL (877-657-4625). Tickets for the Seattle Sounders FC versus Tigres UANL match on March 12 are on sale now. Champions League tickets are available by phone at 800-745-3000 or www.SoundersFC.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 27, 2013
- Chicago Fire Open Preseason Schedule With 2-0 Victory Over Florida Gulf Coast University - Chicago Fire
- Impact Acquires International Spot From Seattle For Midfielder Lamar Neagle - Montreal Impact
- No longer a rookie, Rowe ready for the grind in 2013 - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Acquires Midfielder Lamar Neagle - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chivas USA head coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola "El Chelis" to attend Academy tryouts this Mo - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Announces 2018 Matchday Themes and Availability of 2018 Ticket Mini Packs, Presented by Fred Meyer
- Sounders FC Drops 3-0 Result to FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium
- Four Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at FC Dallas
- Puget Sound Civic Officials Celebrate Seattle Inclusion in United Bid to Host 2026 FIFA World Cup