Somerset Patriots Pitcher Scott Copeland's Contract Purchased by New York Mets
Bridgewater, NJ- The Somerset Patriots have announced that right-hand pitcher Scott Copeland's contract has been purchased by the New York Mets. He is expected to report to Double-A Binghamton.
The 6'3" righty broke into the big leagues in 2015 with the Toronto Blue Jays. That year, Copeland went 1-1 over five games (three starts) with six strikeouts. He had gone 11-6 with a 2.95 ERA over 21 games (20 starts) for Triple-A Buffalo earlier that season to earn his promotion to the majors.
The Longview, Texas native began the 2016 season in Korea before he posted a 3.04 ERA over nine starts with Buffalo to end the season. He returned to the Triple-A level last year in New Orleans (Miami Marlins) where he was ranked among the Pacific Coast League leaders in multiple categories. Copeland led the league in starts (26), was tied for third in wins (9), fourth in strikeouts (118), and fifth in innings pitched (137.2).
Copeland began his professional career in the Baltimore Orioles organization before joining the Blue Jays in 2013. He has pitched at the Triple-A level in each of the last four seasons with a 3.70 ERA. The University of Southern Mississippi alum owns 61 wins and a 4.15 ERA over his eight-year professional career.
The Somerset Patriots led the Atlantic League in attendance and made their 14th appearance in the playoffs last season. The Somerset Patriots will welcome their 7,000,000th fan in their 20th season at TD Bank Ballpark in 2018. Tickets are now on sale for the 2018 Season presented by Ford beginning at home on Friday, April 27th. For more information, please visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from April 19, 2018
- Barnstormers Blank York - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Somerset Patriots Pitcher Scott Copeland's Contract Purchased by New York Mets - Somerset Patriots
- Skeeters Pitcher Jeff Johnson's Contract Purchased by Acereros de Monclova - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Bees Seeking National Anthem Singers and Mascot Performers for 2018 Season - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots to Welcome Members of the 1969 Mets in Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of their World Series Win
- Somerset Patriots Bring Back All-Star Pitcher Mike Antonini
- All-Star Game and Team MVP Alfredo Rodriguez to Return to Somerset Patriots
- Somerset Patriots Announce 2019 Coaching Staff
- Somerset Patriots Announce 2019 Schedule