Solo Shots Send Tribe to Victory in Durham
DURHAM, N.C. - Jordan Luplow, Joey Terdoslavich and Eric Wood belted solo home runs to back Steven Brault as the Indianapolis Indians won the series opener Monday night in Durham, 5-2. Terdoslavich, named as the IL Player of the Week prior to the game, broke a 2-2 tie in the sixth with his sixth home run and third since the All-Star break.
After Durham (57-37) leveled the score in the bottom of the fifth, Terdoslavich hammered Michael Roth's first pitch in the sixth out to left to give Indy the lead for good. Wood's 13th dinger of 2017 came later in the frame, giving Indy a 4-2 advantage.
Indianapolis (53-41) wasted little time in scoring the game's first run. Eury Perez smoked Roth's second pitch of the game into the left-field corner for a double, and he quickly swiped third base, his 21st stolen base of the season. Christopher Bostick then dumped a single into shallow right to put Indy on top.
Luplow doubled the Tribe's lead with a one-out solo home run in the third, but the Bulls answered with a Johnny Field sacrifice fly in the home half to make it 2-1.
The Indians added an insurance run in the seventh on a double steal. With runners at the corners, Bostick beat the throw to second and Perez raced home. The swipe of home was the first by a Tribe player since Danny Ortiz did so on July 15, 2016, at Louisville.
Johnny Barbato converted his fourth save in the ninth to help Indy snap a brief two-game skid.
Brault (8-4) picked up his team-high eighth win after allowing two runs on five hits with seven strikeouts in six innings pitched. Roth (0-2) took the loss after surrendering four runs on eight hits - including three solo homers - in six innings of work.
The Indians and Bulls meet again Tuesday night at the DBAP. The Tribe will send right-hander Drew Hutchison (5-4, 3.47) to the bump, opposite Bulls righty Brent Honeywell (8-7, 4.54). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. ET, and the broadcast can be heard on Fox Sports 97.5 or AM 1260.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 20, 2017
- Pigs Sweep G-Braves with Win in Finale - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Drop Finale to 'Wings 7-6 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Park Hit Wins It for Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Casali Carries Bulls to Win - Durham Bulls
- Late Rally Leads Bats Past Chiefs - Syracuse Mets
- Beato Sets Franchise Record in Pigs Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gwinnett falls in extras to Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Solo Shots Send Tribe to Victory in Durham - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Shut out in Sixth Straight Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Early Runs Hold up in Bulls' 5-1 Win - Durham Bulls
- PawSox Extend Streak to Eight Wins with Another Shutout - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Pair of Louisville Homers Give Bats 5-1 Victory - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs Drop Middle Game to Bats - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Rout Columbus for Second Straight Win - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Indianapolis Indians Set New Record for Charitable Giving
- Five Indians Among MiLB.com's Pirates Organization All-Stars
- Two Tribe Executives Named to Inaugural Class of LIFT Mentorship Program
- Best Games at Victory Field, No. 1: Indians Outlast Bulls in Extras, 7-6
- Best Games at Victory Field, No. 2: Weiss' Double Walks off Stripers