Sod Poodles Defeat Drillers in Amarillo
AMARILLO, TX- The Tulsa Drillers entered Saturday night's contest with the Amarillo Sod Poodles very hot, winning its first four games on the road trip. But three Sod Poodles home runs powered Amarillo to an 11-6 win in game two of a three-game series.
Down 9-0, all of Tulsa's offense came in the top of the seventh. Eric Peterson started the big inning with a long ball, his first hit of the season. A walk and a single set up a Logan Landon RBI single. Another walk loaded the bases for Cristian Santana who crushed a grand slam, cutting the Drillers deficit to 9-6.
It would be as close as Tulsa would get. Amarillo added two more in the bottom half of the seventh to cap the 11-6 win, setting up the rubbergame on Sunday evening.
It was a rough right out of the gate for Drillers starting pitcher Edwin Uceta. After beginning the game with a strikeout, Uceta allowed a double and uncorked a wild pitch. Edward Olivares followed with an RBI single for the game's first run.
The Sod Poodles got Uceta for four more runs an inning later. Taylor Kohlwey led off with a solo home run, then Uceta issued a walk. After a sacrifice bunt, an RBI double and a hit batsman, catcher Keibert Ruiz overthrew the first baseman on a pickoff attempt, and allowed a run to score. Owen Miller brought Amarillo's lead to 5-0 with an RBI single.
The Poodles added three more in the fifth. Miller struck again with a leadoff homer, and after a double, Kohlwey hit a two-run homer, extending the lead to 8-0.
WHAT YOU MISSED
*After snapping a seven-game hitting streak on Friday night, Santana returned to his hitting ways with his grand slam in the seventh. Since seeing his batting average drop to a season-low .280 on June 2, Santana has hit safely in 9 out of his last 11 games and has seen his average climb to .294.
*Ryan Moseley retired all seven men he faced after relieving Uceta in second inning.
*Rain in Amarillo delayed the first pitch to 8:06 PM at Hodgetown.
UP NEXT: Tulsa at Amarillo, Sunday, June 16 at 6:05 PM at Hodgetown in Amarillo, TX. LHP Victor Gonzalez (2-1, 2.92 ERA) vs. Jesse Scholtens (3-2, 4.92 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Sod Poodles Walk-Off on Drillers to Keep First-Half Clinch Hopes Alive - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Tulsa Drops Finale in Amarillo - Tulsa Drillers
- Chinea Drives in 4, Cardinals Sweep Hooks with 8-6 Win - Springfield Cardinals
- McCaughan Sets Tone for Travs Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Cards Complete Sweep - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Rubber-Match Rained out in Frisco - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Sunday's Game Cancelled Because of Inclement Weather - Frisco RoughRiders
- Hounds Top Arkansas, One Win Away from Postseason - Midland RockHounds
- Kohlwey, Miller Lead the Way in Sod Poodles 11-6 Victory over Drillers - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- 'Hounds Send Travs to Third Straight Loss - Arkansas Travelers
- Sod Poodles Defeat Drillers in Amarillo - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.