Snappers Clinch Playoff Spot
Beloit defeated the Cedar Rapids Kernels in game two of the doubleheader to clinch a first half playoff birth. The Snappers scored seven runs on nine hits to beat the Kernels, 7-2 in seven innings.
After Cedar Rapids scored the first run of the game in the top of the third, the Snappers scored six runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to blow the game wide open. Brian Dinkelman hit a sacrifice fly, Steve Singleton a two-run double, Danny Valencia an RBI double, and Garrett Olson had a two-run single to give Beloit the 6-1 lead.
The Snappers added another run in the bottom of the seventh on a Steve Singleton RBI single to right. Singleton drove home Yancarlos Ortiz, who singled earlier. Steve's RBI gave the Snappers a 7-1 lead.
Julio Lugo let in a run in the top of the ninth inning, but got the final three outs of the game to seal the deal for the Snappers.
Matthew Fox pitched five innings of five hit, one run baseball to pick up his fourth win of the season.
The win ensured the Snappers a PLAYOFF BIRTH and improved their record to 42-24.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2007
- Bees Win Third Straight - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Come Back, Beat Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Drop Fourth Straight - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Clinch Playoff Spot - Beloit Snappers
- Loons Win Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Another Big Lead Blown by Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Topple Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- First Half Champs! Dragons Win Eastern Division - Dayton Dragons
- Principal Financial Group Family Fun Fest Only Two Weeks Away - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Friday's Game Sold Out; First Whitecaps Sellout This Year - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wisconsin Wins Second Straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Swing Drop Second In A Row To Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kenny Rogers Scheduled to Start for Whitecaps Friday - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Sean O'Sullivan activated from DL; Blake Holler transferred to Orem - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Back So Soon? Smith Rejoins Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- McConnell Moves On - Burlington Bees
- Manship shuts down Kernels, 5-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.