Smokies Drop Championship Series to Pensacola
KODAK, Tenn. - The Tennessee Smokies lost their final game of the season Wednesday night at Smokies Stadium,11-4, in Game 3 of the Southern League Championship Series to the Pensacola Blue Wahoos. With the loss, the Smokies fell a game short of their first outright championship since 1978.
For the second consecutive night, the Smokies had an early that the bullpen coughed up. First baseman Nelson Maldonado drove in two runs to put the Smokies up 3-2 in the bottom of the third, a short-lived lead before Tennessee's bullpen blew the game in the top of the fifth.
Pensacola took its first lead of the game on a grand slam from Cobie Fletcher-Vance against Blake Whitney (0-1). The Blue Wahoos put the game away for good with four runs in the top of the seventh, scoring three times off Bailey Horn.
As a team, the Smokies left nine runners on base, including six in the third through fifth innings, and at least one in six of the last seven frames. Cole Roederer hit his second home run of the postseason in the bottom of the eighth.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from September 28, 2022
- Smokies Drop Championship Series to Pensacola - Tennessee Smokies
- Top Prospect Logan O'Hoppe Joins Angels for MLB Debut - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- Lookouts Announce 2023 Schedule - Chattanooga Lookouts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tennessee Smokies Stories
- Tennessee Smokies Announce 2023 Season Schedule
- Smokies Drop Championship Series to Pensacola
- Seven-Run Sixth Buries Smokies in Game 2 of Championship Series
- Smokies Take Game 1 of Southern League Championship Series
- Wenson, Clarke Lift Smokies to Championship Series