Smith's Timely Homerun Lifts D-Braves to Series Win
DANVILLE, Va. - Justin Smith's two-run homerun in the seventh inning proved to be enough for the D-Braves to collect their fifth series win of the season on Thursday night at Legion Field.
The score stood at a 1-1 standstill through six and a half innings. After Griffin Benson opened with an inning-opening double, Smith scorched a deep fly ball over the Budweiser scoreboard to give the D-Braves the 3-1 advantage.
The D-Braves would go on to score another in the bottom of the seventh off a Justin Dean RBI single, extending their lead to 4-1.
In the eighth, Danville took every opportunity of poor Burlington relief pitching. Burlington threw three wild pitches and allowed two D-Braves runs. All together, Danville brushed four across the plate.
Pitcher Matt Rowland produced his longest outing of his pro career. The product of St. Petersburg, Florida pitched five innings, allowed one earned and only four hits over 73 pitches in his fifth start of his career.
Tanner Allison took care of business as usual. The D-Braves pitcher hurled four strong innings, allowing one hit and one walk with three punchouts. The left-handed product of Lansing, Michigan, has now pitched 17.1 innings with 21 strikeouts and a 0.52 ERA.
The D-Braves offense was cooking on Thursday evening as three D-Braves logged three hits on Thursday evening.
First baseman Benson produced the best hitting evening of his career. The third-year Braves player posted three extra-base hits with two doubles and a triple. Previously Benson had only one extra-base hit in a game, and had only garnered one three-hit game in his career.
Justin Dean led all hitters with three RBIs, which was his first three-RBI game of his professional career and second multi-RBI game overall.
CJ Alexander had three hits and reached base every single time at the plate with two walks.
The D-Braves will go for the series sweep tomorrow against Burlington. First pitch is at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Smith's Timely Homerun Lifts D-Braves to Series Win - Danville Braves
- Pirates Bow to Big Pulaski Eighth - Bristol Pirates
- Late Runs Give Twins 7-2 Win over Johnson City - Johnson City Cardinals
- Greeneville Knocks off K-Mets 5-4 - Kingsport Mets
- Late Push by Johnson City Not Enough, Cardinals Fall to Yankees - Johnson City Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Danville Braves Stories
- D-Braves Announce 2019 Season Schedule, Season Memberships
- Braves Present Gift to Danville-Pittsylvania Cancer Association
- D-Braves Offer Donation to God's Storehouse
- Baerga, Seipel Named D-Braves Players of the Month
- 2018 M-Braves Playoff Tickets on Sale Friday at 10:00 AM