Smith Wins Southern League 'Hitter of the Week' Award
SEVIERVILLE, Tenn. - Tennessee Smokies infielder Marquez Smith was named today by the Southern League as the Southern League "Hitter of the Week," for the week of May 18-24. The award is the first one given to a Smokies player this year.
Smith led the Southern League last week with nine runs scored. He started off the week in Chattanooga combining for six hits, five runs, two home runs and four RBIs. He would add another home run and two RBIs in games later in the week against the Birmingham Barons. During the week he had three multi-hit games and three games where he scored multiple runs.
The Ocala, Fla. native was promoted to the Smokies in April 30 following a 15-game stint to start the season with High-A Daytona. Through May 25, Smith is hitting .294 (25-85) for Tennessee with three home runs and nine RBIs. His eight doubles are tied for third on the team. Since May 9, Smith is hitting at a .344 clip.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 26, 2009
- Barons Earn First Tuesday Win - Birmingham Barons
- Torra Strong as BayBears Open Homestand with Win - Mobile BayBears
- Walk-off Gets Smokies a Split in Doubleheader - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Drop Opener to Cats, 5-4 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Huntsville Bounces Back From Tough Loss in Opener - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears Power Past Suns on Tuesday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Mudcats Take Sixth Straight - Carolina Mudcats
- Jaxx and Lookouts Washed Out on Tuesday - Jackson Generals
- Barons Off To Best Start Since 1989 - Birmingham Barons
- Barons Announce Hall of Fame Class of 2009 - Birmingham Barons
- Bucci Joins Stars - Huntsville Stars
- Smith Wins Southern League 'Hitter of the Week' Award - Tennessee Smokies
- Southern League Announces Hitter and Pitcher of the Week - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.