Sky Sox Streak Snapped by Sacramento
COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO.-The Colorado Springs Sky Sox had their five-game winning streak snapped Thursday afternoon in a 17-7 loss to the Sacramento River Cats in front of 5,553 at Security Service Field.
Garrett Cooper drove in five runs on the afternoon, including a sixth-inning grand slam to put the Sox ahead 6-3 in response to the River Cats' two run frame half an inning before. The Sox first baseman recorded his seventh long ball of 2017 and has now driven in a total of 36 runs to lead the team.
Yadiel Rivera opened the scoring with a RBI fielder's choice in the second inning to tie the score at one off Sacramento starter Dan Slania, before Cooper's groundout to shortstop Juniel Querecuto put Colorado Springs (20-9) ahead, 2-1, after four innings. Ryan Cordell drove in the seventh and final run on a sacrifice fly to centerfield in the ninth inning for his 21st of the season.
Brent Suter recorded a no-decision in his first home outing of the season, going five innings while allowing three earned runs and striking out four River Cats. At one point, Suter retired 10 straight Sacramento batters and 11 of 12 overall.
Down 6-3 after six innings the River Cats (13-20) scored 13 runs in the seventh inning to pull ahead and take the lead. Orlando Calixte went 5-for-6 from the plate with four runs scored and four runs driven with a pair of home runs
The four-game series continues Friday night with a 7 p.m. MT first pitch, when RHP Paolo Espino (3-0, 2.94) takes the mound against RHP Tyler Beede (2-1, 3.38). The nightcap is Air Force Appreciation Night, with special patriotic-themed jerseys worn by the Sox and a fireworks show after the game.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 11, 2017
- Bees Host I-Cubs on Mother's Day Weekend - Salt Lake Bees
- Sky Sox Streak Snapped by Sacramento - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Salt Lake Bees to Honor Esurance Rising Star Students Program Winner - Salt Lake Bees
- Fresno Fuego Advance in U.S. Open Cup with 4-1 Win - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Sky Sox Stories
- Express Take Game and Series with Late Rally Monday Night
- Sky Sox Clinch 6-5 Victory over Round Rock in Extras
- Express Take Game One of Series with Five-Run Seventh
- Sky Sox Win 3-2, Take Series over Baby Cakes
- Burnes Strikes out Nine, Sky Sox Shutout 'Cakes