Skeeters Take Game Five with 4-2 Win over Express
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (57-55) fell to the Sugar Land Skeeters (65-48) 4-2 on Monday night at Dell Diamond as the visitors cut the E-Train's series lead to 3-2. The two starting lineups saw five total Major League rehab starts as DH Brock Holt, LF Willie Calhoun and 2B Andy Ibáñez started for the Express and 1B Taylor Jones and C Jason Castro started for the Skeeters.
Round Rock starter RHP Tyson Miller (3-3, 3.13) suffered the loss after allowing one run on one hit and six walks during 3.0 innings on the mound. Miller recorded five punchouts to contribute to the E-Train's 14 total on the night. Sugar Land starter RHP Hunter Brown (5-0, 4.08) earned the win with a 6.1-inning outing that saw two runs on five hits with six total strikeouts.
Sugar Land brought its first runner home in the second inning when CF Ronnie Dawson worked a two-out walk before stealing second then scoring as Jones knocked a single for a 1-0 lead.
The Skeeters increased their advantage to 3-0 in the fourth as SS Jeremy Peña led off the inning with a double before finding third on a passed ball. The shortstop was joined on base when Jones drew a walk then was sent home on a Castro single, which pushed Jones to second. Jones later scored thanks to a base hit from 3B Jacob Wilson.
A leadoff home run from Skeeters LF JJ Matijevic went to right field in the fifth inning and gave the visitors a 4-0 lead.
Round Rock avoided the shutout thanks to a two-run home run from Ibáñez in the seventh. 3B Josh Jung knocked a leadoff single before Ibáñez' hit brought them both in for a 4-2 score that held to be final.
Ibáñez finished 1-3 to go along with two RBI and one run scored in his first Major League rehab appearance with the Express. Calhoun also saw his first rehab outing, going 0-4, while Holt made his second rehab start and finished the night 0-3.
The two teams face off in the series finale on Tuesday night at Dell Diamond. Express LHP Brock Burke (1-5, 6.29) is scheduled to start up against Skeeters RHP Shawn Dubin (4-3, 4.34). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. CT.
For more information about the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Subscribe to the E-Train email newsletter and keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A West League message board...
Triple-A West League Stories from September 14, 2021
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - September 14, 2021 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- ¡Celebración Cielo Azul! Returns to Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Thursday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Squander Lead in the Ninth, Suffer Stunning 6-3 Loss to Reno - Las Vegas Aviators
- Dodgers Rout Salt Lake 12-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Four-Run Ninth Inning Leads Reno Past Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Fuentes' Blast Stuns Chihuahuas as Isotopes Walk off Again - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Tops Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Skeeters Lower Magic Number to 2 with Win over Round Rock - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Homer Lifts Albuquerque to Walk-Off Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Skeeters Take Game Five with 4-2 Win over Express - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Carlos Olivas Named Triple-A West Athletic Trainer of the Year
- Round Rock Express 2021 Full-Season Game Notes
- Round Rock Closes out Season with Huge Win over Sugar Land
- Sugar Land Evens Series with 6-1 Victory over Round Rock
- Round Rock Drops First Contest in Sugar Land 4-2