Silvertips Rally over Seattle to Celebrate Wolf's 20th
KENT, Wash. - Gage Goncalves and Cole Fonstad combined for four goals and seven points and Dustin Wolf made 34 saves on his 20th birthday to help the Everett Silvertips rally and defeat the Seattle Thunderbirds, 5-3 in WHL action on Friday night at accesso ShoWare Center.
The Tips recovered from losing a 2-0 lead and at one point, trailing 3-2 in the third period with a pair of goals from Jacob Wright and Goncalves' second of the game in a span of 1:02 to seize a six point lead for first place in the U.S. Division with 11 games remaining. The Tips improved to 3-1 in the season over the Thunderbirds, with each game decided by two goals or less.
UP NEXT: The Silvertips return to play on Sunday at 4:05 p.m. at Angel of the Winds Arena in downtown Everett, hosting the Portland Winterhawks (KRKO/WHL Live) in the fourth meeting of the season. Viewing packages remain on sale at watch.chl.ca. Play-by-play "Voice of the Tips" Mike Benton will have pre-game coverage beginning at 3:30 p.m.
Goncalves broke the scoreless tie on a breakaway with 2:40 left in the first period, converting a tape-to-tape saucer pass from Cole Fonstad from the neutral zone. Just 50 seconds later, the Tips constructed an electrifying finish at the Thunderbirds net on Fonstad's first of the night, set up on a backhander after Goncalves fed Ben Hemmerling, who swiftly relayed to Fonstad streaking to the net.
Seattle responded with a pair of goals in the second period to tie the game, first on Henrik Rybinski's one-timer at the left circle just moments after the end of a Tips penalty kill at 10:03, followed by Jared Davidson's fourth goal of the season on a snap shot between the circles at 13:48.
The Tips came out for the third period energized after a late second period penalty kill but fell behind on Davidson's second of the game at 9:25, finishing from the right circle into a half open net. The Tips refused to wilt, and immediately went to work to tie the game again on the next shift.
Jacob Wright secured the tying goal just 50 seconds after Davidson helped Seattle take the lead, finishing a breakaway by picking the corner on Jackson Berry with a snap shot between the circles with 9:45 left. Then with 8:43 remaining, the Tips remarkably tacked on one more goal to seize the lead.
Gianni Fairbrother took Hunter Campbell's pass and veered to the left circle, looking for ample space. As he created a passing lane, Goncalves snuck to the right post and slammed Fairbrother's backdoor feed into the net, sending the Silvertips into pandemonium with a 4-3 lead.
Fonstad finished the game with an empty netter with 19.5 remaining.
Berry, making his first appearance in the series in place of Thomas Milic (away to Team Canada for the U18 World Championships), made 31 stops.
3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. Jared Davidson (SEA)
2. Gage Goncalves (EVT)
3. Henrik Rybinski (SEA)
GAME NOTES: Silvertips scratches included, Max Graham, Brady Van Herk, Olen Zellweger, and Braden Holt ... Fonstad has a goal in five straight games and has been held scoreless for two games this season, Mar. 31 at Seattle and Apr. 3 vs. Portland ... Goncalves has six goals in the last six games, getting back on the scoresheet after seeing his five-game point streak snapped on Tuesday ... the Tips will make one final visit to Kent coming up, in the regular season finale on May 8.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2021
- Tigers Beat Rebels - Medicine Hat Tigers
- T-Birds Fall to Winterhawks - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors 4-1 for Third Win in a Row - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Four-Goal Second Period Pushes Brandon Past Warriors - Moose Jaw Warriors
- WHL Announces Suspension of Team Activities for Tri-City Americans - Tri-City Americans
- WHL Announces Suspension of Team Activities for Tri-City Americans - WHL
- April 17 Preview: Warriors vs Wheat Kings 5 PM - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Prospect Profile: Johnston Is One of a Kind - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Preview: Broncos Meet Blades for Season Series Finale - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Day Hub: Blades Battle Broncos for Final Time - Saskatoon Blades
- Silvertips Rally over Seattle to Celebrate Wolf's 20th - Everett Silvertips
- Special Teams Struggles Prove Costly for Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Tigers Outlast Rebels - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Royals Upended by Cougars - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Garrett Pilon Becomes the 20th Silvertip to Play in the National Hockey League
- Silvertips Put Bow on Campaign with 4-1 Victory
- Silvertips Smother Spokane, 5-1
- Goncalves, 'Tips Rally for Shootout Win over Seattle
- Kasper Puutio Signs Two-Year Contract with KalPa Kuopio of the Finnish Elite League