Shuffling Aces Nick Adenhart to Rancho, Anthony Ortega to CR
The Cedar Rapids Kernels announced that RHP Nick Adenhart has been promoted to Rancho Cucamonga of the California League and that RHP Anthony Ortega will join the Kernels from Orem of the Pioneer League.
Adenhart leaves with a 10-2 record and a 1.95 ERA. In sixteen starts, he's pitched 106 innings and allowed 84 hits and 33 runs (23 earned) while walking 26 and striking out 99. The league was batting .215 against Nick and he was named the starting pitcher for the Western Division at the MWL All-Star Game earlier this month. Adenhart was also selected to the US Team for the XM Satellite Radio Futures All-Star Game to be played on July 9 at PNC Park in Pittsburgh as part of the MLB All-Star Game festivities.
RHP Anthony Ortega was signed as a non-drafted free agent by the Angels on October 13, 2003 and pitched two season in the DSL. In 2005, Anthony was 7-4 with a 0.86 ERA in 14 starts with two complete games. In 94-1/3 innings, he allowed 62 hits and 20 runs (9 earned) while walking 21 and striking out 100 as opposing batters could only muster a .182 average against him.
Anthony started 2006 at Rancho Cucamonga appearing in five games with one start. He pitched 8-2/3 innings with a 0-1 record with one save but was transferred to Extended Spring Training on June 6 and was assigned to Orem. There, he's pitched in two games (both starts) with a 1-1 record and 0.79 ERA. In 11-1/3 innings pitched he's struck out 11 and walked 2 and opposing batters have a .162 average against.
Ortega is expected to be in uniform when the Kernels open an eight game home stand versus Dayton tonight at Veterans Memorial Stadium at 7 pm.
The move leave the Kernels roster at the MWL maximum of 25 players.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 29, 2006
- Bees get first win vs. Peoria - Burlington Bees
- The Devil Rays hand the Wizards a win - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Kernels flame out in 4-3 loss to Dayton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars' late rally just misses - Kane County Cougars
- Swing rally late but fall short in extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons pull out comeback win over Kernels - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs fall short in comeback attempt - Peoria Chiefs
- Lugnuts hold on for victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hawks take Swing in eleven - South Bend Silver Hawks
- French keeps Caps close for late inning rally, win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Late Whitecap rally crashes in on Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bob Dylan Concert Scheduled For Memorial Stadium - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bob Dylan Kicks Off 2006 Tour at Fifth Third Ballpark - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Shuffling Aces Nick Adenhart to Rancho, Anthony Ortega to CR - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bees Add New Pitcher - Burlington Bees
- Kernels fall, 3-2, to Bees - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Peoria Scores Late to Take Game 1
- Kernels adjust playoff roster before Peoria series
- Dobnak Sends Kernels to Sweep of Snappers
- Kernels Roll to 10-1 Win at Beloit
- Game 1 Postponed at Beloit