Shorthanded Bugs Suffer First Loss to Tulsa Since '08
TULSA, OK - Playing with only 13 skaters Saturday night at the BOK Center, the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs suffered their first loss to the Tulsa Oilers since the 2007-08 season by a final score of 7-3. Tulsa's first win over Bossier-Shreveport since March 18, 2008 dropped the Mudbugs to 21-14-1 this season and also concluded their three-game season series.
Joe Blaznek and Mitch Love scored goals for the Mudbugs, who had four forwards and a defenseman miss the contest with injuries. The Bugs missed on all six of their powerplay chances and were outscored 5-1 over the last two periods as Tulsa beat them for the first time in ten tries at the BOK Center. Bossier-Shreveport also fired a season-high 40 shots on net in the game, compared with just 23 for the Oilers.
Tulsa jumped out to a quick 1-0 when Chad Costello scored on a clear-cut breakaway just 2:26 in. The Mudbugs answered a few minutes later when Joe Blaznek set up along the boards and rifled a sharp-angle shot over Trevor Cann's shoulder and into the top corner to tie the game at one. Just 31 seconds later, James DeLory and David Rutherford teamed up to feed the puck in front to Mitch Love, who stickhandled around Cann and buried his first goal as a Mudbug to put the visitors on top 2-1. Jack Combs scored for Tulsa less than two minutes later though to tie the game at two after 20 minutes.
Tulsa scored then scored a pair of goals just over one minute apart early in the second frame as Gary Steffes and Braden Walls combined to give the Oilers a 4-2 edge. The Mudbugs missed on their fourth and fifth powerplays of the night in the second frame and then Tyler Fleck extended the Tulsa lead to 5-2 with under two minutes remaining in the second.
Bossier-Shreveport dominated the third period, outshooting Tulsa 18-7 and narrowing the gap when Simon Mangos tucked in a nice pass from Shawn Limpright at 7:22 to make it 5-3. Trevor Cann made a number of sparkling saves down the stretch and would not be beaten again as the Oilers tacked on an empty-net goal from Walls and then another by Fleck with just ten seconds remaining.
John DeCaro (10-5-1) made 16 saves while giving up a number of tough-luck goals, while Cann (6-2-0) held off the comeback with 37 stops. Bossier-Shreveport killed off all three Tulsa powerplays in the game while going 0 for 6 themselves.
The Mudbugs will next travel to Southaven, Mississippi to conclude a season-high six game road swing against the RiverKings Tuesday at 7:05 pm. The Bugs will then return home for a pair of games at the CenturyTel Center next week, Tuesday at 6:35 pm against the Dayton Gems and Saturday at 7:05 versus the rival Laredo Bucks.
Mini-plans and group ticket packages for all Mudbugs home games are available through the Mudbugs office at 752-BUGS. Individual tickets are on sale through Ticketmaster at 318-741-9700, online at www.ticketmaster.com or at the CenturyTel Center main box office.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2011
- Jacks Fall to Eagles in a Shootout Thriller - Odessa Jackalopes
- Eagles Jump Up in Standings With Shootout Win Over Odessa - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas Sting Killer Bees - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Shorthanded Bugs Suffer First Loss to Tulsa Since '08 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Third period surge, outstanding goaltending vault Mavs into second place - Kansas City Mavericks
- Summers, Flath Lead RiverKings Past IceMen - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans dismantle Bucks 7-3 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Rolls Past Sundogs, 6-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas Rally To Beat Bees 5-2 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Gems fall to Quad City - Dayton Gems
- Mallards grab fourth straight win - Quad City Mallards
- Robinson Scores Pair in Win Over Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- PrairieThunder Drop Third Straight 5-3 to Fort Wayne / Back Home on Sunday Afternoon - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks Blitzed in Allen 7-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Acquire D-Man Dominic D'Amour from Mavs - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mavericks Trade Dominic D'Amour, Place Oivier Filion on Suspension - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brown Returns, Marino Activated - Quad City Mallards
- New Players in PrairieThunder Lineup on Saturday - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks in Search of Third Straight Win - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.