Shinkaruk's Two-Goal Night Powers Heat to 4-2 Win over Bakersfield
SHINKARUK'S TWO-GOAL NIGHT POWERS HEAT TO 4-2 WIN OVER BAKERSFIELD
Stockton, Calif. - Hunter Shinkaruk recorded a pair of goals for the Heat, including the eventual game winner as the Heat improved to 9-4-0-1 on the season with the 4-2 win over Bakersfield. Morgan Klimchuk got the Heat on the board but the Condors responded with a power-play goal just moments later. Shinkaruk scored his first of the game just nine seconds into a Heat power play as a quick, tic-tac-toe pass from Oliver Kylington and Emile Poirier landed on Shinkaruk's stick while streaking to the far post and would add his second of the game a period later. The Condors would pull within one thanks to an offensive zone faceoff win that resulted in a quick Joe Gambardella shot that beat Heat goalie David Rittich high-glove side. Marek Hrivik would record his second point of the night with the empty netter to seal the win for Stockton, who now improve to 4-0-0-0 against Bakersfield this season.
"Obviously being an offense player any time you can chip and score goals to help your team win it is nice. It is nice to get that win and I was lucky enough to help out." - Hunter Shinkaruk on his ability to contribute in the win
"I saw Poirier wind up for the slap shot, I was pretty open and I had a feeling he was going to make that pass and he did. It was pretty easy for me, I had an open net and luckily, I put it in and it was a really good play by [Poirier]." - Shinkaruk on the pass from Emile Poirier on the power-play goal
"Rittich is very good for us. He battles a lot and every day we see him doing it in practice and we just have come to expect that in the game and he was very good for us." - Emile Poirier on David Rittich's performance in the 4-2 win
"I don't think we were great tonight. I thought they played hard and David Rittich played really well for us and he made some great saves for us, especially at the end of the game." - Coach Ryan Huska's thoughts on the hard-fought win
"We know we have a good group here, I guess our expectations for what our group is capable of are high and we feel that every night we think we have a legitimate chance of winning games. When we don't play up to that standard, even when you are winning hockey games, we know there are areas where we can be better." -Huska on his overall expectations with his team
"I though Hunter was good, when he is around the puck he gives himself a chance to make things happen and tonight he was in areas that he got rewarded. It is not just the goal scoring I found him to be a little bit more engaged. He is giving guys cross-checks at times and he is going to the net a little bit harder now and it is good to see him get rewarded again tonight." - Huska on Hunter Shinkaruk's 2-goal night and recent form
"[Rittich's] is a guy that we trust when he is in the net. He is a competitor, and he gives us a chance to win. He makes those key saves when you need him to make keys saves and he did that again tonight, especially late when Bakersfield had a few chances. He had a great night, he is a great goaltender and there is a reason why he is having success." - Huska on Rittich's continued success
"I think it was a good game for us. A couple times we made mistakes in our zone, but we played hard and we won and that is was we needed. I am very happy we got the two points." - David Rittich on the win tonight against Bakersfield.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2017
- San Antonio Collects 5-2 Victory over Texas - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Stopped by Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Get Tripped up by Devils - Rochester Americans
- MONSTERS GAME SUMMARY: Monsters Speed Past Admirals, 3-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Hartford Wolf Pack 4, Utica Comets 1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Recap - Sound Tigers 5, Checkers 2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Losing Skid Continues in Bridgeport - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Fall to Marlies, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Seek to Stay Perfect against Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Host Bakersfield for Hispanic Heritage Night - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Assigns Lashoff, Grand Rapids Sends McCarron to Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Megan Heads to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Reign Put Point Streak on the Line Today in San Jose - Ontario Reign
- San Diego Gulls 8 vs. Tucson Roadrunners 3 - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Score Two, But Fall by Two - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Shinkaruk's Two-Goal Night Powers Heat to 4-2 Win over Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Chicago 4 at Manitoba 6 - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Drop Opener in Stockton, 4-2 - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.