Shay Whitcomb Named High-A East League Player of the Week
ASHEVILLE - Earlier today Minor League Baseball announced Asheville's Shay Whitcomb as the High-A East League Player of the Week for the week of September 13-19. Whitcomb is the third Tourists player this season to win the award. Scott Schreiber won Player of the Week for his production from June 14-20 and Yainer Diaz took home the honor for the week of September 6-12.
During the week of September 13-19, Whitcomb appeared in four games for the Tourists, all at Winston-Salem. Shay went 8-for-19, a .421 batting average, hit three Home Runs and two doubles, drove in eight, and scored six runs. The Thousand Oaks, California native added his team-leading 16th stolen base.
Whitcomb was acquired by the Houston Astros in the fifth round of the 2020 MLB draft out of UC San Diego. Shay began the 2021 season with Low-A Fayetteville before earning a promotion to Asheville on June 28.
In Whitcomb's time with the Tourists, which spans 58 games, the right-handed hitter batted .300 with 16 Home Runs, 22 doubles and 56 RBI. Shay hit .352 in the month of September, the seventh best mark in the league. Whitcomb's teammates, Diaz and Wilyer Abreu, ranked second and third in the league respectively in batting average during the month of September.
Asheville's 2021 season is officially in the books; however, Diaz and Whitcomb's back-to-back Player of the Week awards showcase how much the Tourists battled all the way to the finish line.
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 20, 2021
- From the Desk of Joe Ricciutti (September 20th) - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Shay Whitcomb Named High-A East League Player of the Week - Asheville Tourists
- Thank You, Fans - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Gades Lose Finale - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Hoppers Close Regular Season with Victory, No. 2 Seed in Title Series - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hoppers Sweep Dash to Win "Battle of I-40" Rivalry - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.