Shaq Is Back - Riders Re-Up Receiver Shaq Evans
The Saskatchewan Roughriders have signed American wide receiver Shaq Evans to a contract extension.
Evans (6'1-210) will remain in Riderville for a fourth CFL season, after initially signing with the Club in 2018. Evans enjoyed a successful rookie season, playing in 17 games and earning 785 yards receiving. Building on his first season success, he had a breakout year in 2019 culminating with his first CFL All-Star award. Evans registered 72 receptions for 1,334 yards receiving and five touchdowns, earned more than 100 yards receiving in six games and led the CFL in both average yards per catch (18.6 yards) and in 30+ yard receptions (15). Evans broke his leg early in the 2021 season, but came back and played five games, plus the West Semi-Final and West Final, earning 26 receptions for 220 yards.
Prior to joining the Riders, the 30-year-old California native was selected by the New York Jets in the 4th round (115th overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft and spent time with the Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots and Jacksonville Jaguars.
Collegiately, Evans spent four seasons at UCLA (2010-13) playing in 40 games with the Bruins and tallying 126 receptions for 1,895 yards and 14 touchdowns. He also led the team in receptions for his final two seasons and earned an All-Conference Honourable Mention in 2013. He started off his collegiate career at Notre Dame playing six games for the Fighting Irish, making seven receptions for 61 yards before transferring to UCLA.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from January 18, 2022
- Elks Add Four Americans - Edmonton Elks
- Tiger-Cats Re-Sign Wide Receiver/Kick Returner White - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Shaq Is Back - Riders Re-Up Receiver Shaq Evans - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- RedBlacks Sign Six - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Lions Add Former Langley Ram Kyle Clarot, Fellow DB Quincy Mauger - B.C. Lions
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.