Seven-Straight Wins for the Redbirds After 12-9
OMAHA, Nebraska - The Memphis Redbirds picked up their seventh-straight win in dramatic fashion Thursday night in Omaha, Neb., putting up a three-spot in the top of the 10th en route to a 12-9 win, after losing a 9-3 lead before the bottom of the eighth inning.
The seven-game winning streak for the Redbirds (17-11) is their longest since winning eight-straight from May 30-June 6, 2015. During this current seven-game streak, Memphis has outscored its opponents, 47-24. Memphis remains a perfect 4-0 in extra-inning games this season.
Carson Kelly was 3-for-5 with a home run, two doubles, two runs scored, and three RBI, and Todd Cunningham and Chad Huffman also had three hits for the Redbirds. Cunningham was 3-for-4 with two runs and an RBI after entering the game as a pinch-hitter. Wilfredo Tovar and Breyvic Valera each had two hits and combined to score five runs, while Harrison Bader crossed the plate twice on a 2-for-5 night. Billy Burns had three hits for Omaha (13-13).
Daniel Poncedeleon worked 6.0 innings and gave up three runs on four hits in the start for the Redbirds.
Memphis scored nine runs in its first five at-bats and led 9-3 after the top of the eighth inning. But the Storm Chasers scored four times in the bottom of the eighth to make the score 9-7 and twice more in the bottom of the ninth, coming on a pinch-hit home run by Ryan O'Hearn, to send the game to extras.
But the Redbirds did not dwell on the final couple of innings, scoring three times in the top of the 10th to set up the win. Tovar singled, stole second, and moved to third on a Valera single, before scoring when Cunningham singled to center field.
Rangel Ravelo then hit a sacrifice fly that scored Valera, and Patrick Wisdom knocked in the third run of the inning with a single up the middle that scored Cunningham.
Ryan Sherriff came on and needed just six pitches to set down the Storm Chasers and secure Memphis' seventh-straight win.
Next Games at AutoZone Park The upcoming homestand (May 11-18) includes:
Thursday, May 11 (7:05 p.m.): All-You-Can-Eat Thursday specialty ticket, featuring burgers, plus Thirsty Thursday with select $2 beers, and College Night with $5 Left Field TruGreen Bluff tickets for college students Friday, May 12 (7:05 p.m.): Armed Forces Night, plus a Friday Night Block Party featuring a band and $2 beers in the Plaza before the game Saturday, May 13 (6:35 p.m.): Game Night, plus postgame fireworks, and a Saturday Night Party in the Plaza featuring a band and $2 beers before the game Sunday, May 14 (2:05 p.m.): Mother's Day at the ballpark, plus Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday for kids 12 and under and moms, and kids and moms run the bases after the game Monday, May 15 (6:35 p.m.) Tuesday, May 16 (11:05 a.m.): Education Day with a special game time of 11:05 a.m., plus King Cotton $1 Hot Dog Day Wednesday, May 17 (11:05 a.m.): Education Day with a special game time of 11:05 a.m. Thursday, May 18 (7:05 p.m.): All-You-Can-Eat Thursday specialty ticket, featuring tacos, plus Thirsty Thursday with select $2 beers, and College Night with $5 Left Field TruGreen Bluff tickets for college students
For information on upcoming promotions, visit www.memphisredbirds.com/promotions. For more information on single-game tickets and ticket mini-memberships, visit www.memphisredbirds.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 4, 2017
- Sounds Hit .500 Mark with Win over Express - Nashville Sounds
- Seven-Straight Wins for the Redbirds After 12-9 - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Rally Falls Short as Sounds Win 5-4 - Round Rock Express
- Iowa and New Orleans Split Twin Bill - Iowa Cubs
- Baby Cakes, Cubs Split Doubleheader - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Upcoming Bees Homestand Includes Wizards, Pack The Park Pink and More - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces Smash Bees with 22 Runs on 26 Hits - Reno Aces
- Bees Fall to Aces - Salt Lake Bees
- Upcoming Bees Homestand Includes Wizards, Pack the Park Pink and More - Salt Lake Bees
- El Paso Chihuahuas Roster Transactions - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Redbirds Offering Additional Family Fun on Mother's Day - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers Down Sky Sox,6-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Drop 6-2 Matinee - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Aces Sting Bees in Game Two - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Evens Series with 7-3 Win over Nashville - Round Rock Express
- GAME RECAP: Hoffman Guides Isotopes to 6-3 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Albuquerque 6 El Paso 3 - Wednesday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Streak Comes to An End as Sounds Fall 7-3 to Express - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Recap: May 3, 2017 - Colorado Springs 6, OKC 3 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Score Five Straight in 6-3 Win - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.