Series Preview: April 16-19 vs. Bowie Baysox (Orioles)
Richmond Flying Squirrels (7-3)
Bowie Baysox (6-3)
The Flying Squirrels first homestand of the season continues tonight at 6:35 p.m. Richmond completed a three-game sweep of the Reading Fightin Phils on Sunday afternoon with a game-winning base hit from Jerry Sands. The Squirrels are off to a 7-3 start, their best record in franchise history through ten games. Richmond welcomes the Bowie Baysox to town for the first four of 20 meetings between the two teams.
RHP Michael Kelly (0-0, 3.60) vs. RHP Cory Taylor (1-0, 3.72)
LHP John Means (0-0, 3.97) vs. RHP Shaun Anderson (1-1, 3.27)
RHP Jordan Kipper (1-0, 3.38) vs. RHP Jordan Johnson (1-1, 3.86)
LHP Keegan Akin (0-2, 7.00) vs. LHP Matt Gage (0-0, 2.45)
Ryan Howard enters the series hitting a robust .368, good for 7th in the Eastern League. Bowie's Corban Joseph ranks second with a .419 average.
The Squirrels are 18 of 23 in stolen base attempts. The 18 successful steals are first in the league and six more than any other team.
The Squirrels were 10-12 last year vs. Bowie. Taylor made four starts against the Baysox (0-2, 4.34). Johnson appeared in four games (two starts) against the Baysox with a 1-2 record and a 2.41 ERA.
Tonight is the first Bark in the Park. The first 1,000 fans (21+) will receive a free "Bambino Baseball" thanks to Ardent Craft Ales. Click here for the rest of the homestand's promotions.
Jonah Arenado collected a pair of hits on Sunday, both on 0-2 counts.
Ryan Howard has hit safely in seven consecutive games. Howard has only been hitless in one contest this year, Opening Night in Trenton.
Matt Lipka worked another pair of walks on Sunday. He leads the league with nine free passes. He currently ranks fourth in the league in OBP (.464).
Lipka's go-ahead homer was his first as a Squirrel. He had nine last season with the Down East Wood Ducks in the Carolina League.
The walkoff was the first for Richmond in 2018.
Tickets and group packages are available by contacting the box office at 804-359-3866 or online at squirrelsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 16, 2018
- Baysox Late Rally Falls Short in 4-2 Loss - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Snag Fourth Straight Win - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 'Wolves Strike Early, Take Down Thunder - Erie SeaWolves
- Ranger Turns Out the Lights on Sens - Reading Fightin Phils
- Hunter Jones' Big Night Not Enough in 6-0 Loss to Reading - Harrisburg Senators
- RubberDucks Surge ahead in Eight to Capture Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Late Walks Bury Curve in 4-1 Loss at Akron - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves Jump out to Early Lead, Cruise to 8-3 Win - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Trenton Thunder - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Crawford Returns to Thunder Outfield - Trenton Thunder
- Yard Goats Rained out Monday - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rain Haunts Ponies, Postpones Monday's Game - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fisher Cats - Rumble Ponies Game Postponed Monday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Series Preview: April 16-19 vs. Bowie Baysox (Orioles) - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Monday's Sea Dogs Game Postponed - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 16th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes vs. Reading - Game #9 - Harrisburg Senators
- F.I.E.L.D. Program Returns for Renovation at Martin Luther King Jr. Park and North Trenton Little League - Trenton Thunder
- Vlad Guerrero Jr. Named Eastern League Player of the Week - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for April 5th-April 15th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Richmond Flying Squirrels Stories
- 'Ducks Win Wild, Walk-Off Affair
- Squirrels Settle for Doubleheader Split
- Frank Beamer Joins VT Night at the Diamond
- Squirrels & SeaWolves Washed Out
- 'Wolves Faedo Out-Duels Menez in Memorable Matchup