Second-Half Push Gives Dash 2-2 Draw with Orlando Pride
HOUSTON - A second-half surge from midfielder Kristie Mewis and forward Sofia Huerta gave the Houston Dash a 2-2 draw with the Orlando Pride this evening at BBVA Stadium.
Orlando struck first after Dash defender Ally Prisock conceded a free kick just outside the box. Pride defender Joanna Boyles took the free kick, netting the goal with a low shot to the far post.
Huerta found the back of the net early into the second half to level the score for Houston. Dash forward Kealia Ohai beat a Pride defender on the left flank and dribbled the ball into the box to find Huerta near the back-post. The ball went past Orlando goalkeeper Haley Kopmeyer and fell to Huerta, who tapped the ball in for her third goal of the season. Huerta's goal was also the 30th tally of her NWSL career.
Houston extended their longest regular season game-scoring streak in club history with nine goals in eight games. The club also continued their longest home scoring streak with goals in 14 straight games at BBVA Stadium.
Mewis scored her first goal of the season at the 67th minute when she fired a low ball past the Pride defense and into the right-corner of the far post.
Orlando equalized four minutes later when Boyles found Danica Evans outside the six yard box. Evans controlled the ball and her second touch beat the Dash goalkeeper for the final goal of the game.
Houston responded shortly after Orlando took the lead in the first half when Huerta fired a left-footed ball from inside the box that went inches above the crossbar.
Huerta's efforts tonight found her multiple chances near the Pride goal. The forward continued to press, taking her chance on a free-kick at the 30th minute that she tried to tap in but missed just outside the goal.
The Dash will travel to the East Coast to take on the Washington Spirit at 6:00 p.m. CT on Saturday, June 22 at the Maryland SoccerPlex. The match will be streamed live on Yahoo!Sports.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Courage Rally for 1-1 Tie against Portland Thorns - North Carolina Courage
- Orlando Pride Battles to 2-2 Draw with Houston Dash - Orlando Pride
- Second-Half Push Gives Dash 2-2 Draw with Orlando Pride - Houston Dash
- Thorns FC Earn 1-1 Draw on the Road against North Carolina Courage - Portland Thorns FC
- Reign FC Faces Washington Spirit in Pride Match Tonight - Reign FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Basketball Superstar James Harden Joins Houston Dynamo & Dash Ownership Group
- Houston Dash Fall 1-0 to Chicago Red Stars
- Kickoff for Houston Dash vs. Chicago Red Stars Match Delayed Due to Lightning in the Area
- Three Points: Dash Host Chicago on 713 Night in First Match After Women's World Cup
- Houston Dash Announce Roster Updates