SeaWolves, Inclement Weather Stall Yard Goats Playoff Bid
ERIE, PA - The Erie Seawolves took advantage of shoddy defense to defeat the Hartford Yard Goats, 5-3, Sunday afternoon in a game shortened to 5 1/2 innings because of rain. Following a 30-minute delay the umpires called the game. The second game of the doubleheader was also canceled and will not be made up. The defeat means the Yard Goats will enter Tuesday night's game against Bowie at Dunkin' Donuts Park with a chance to make the playoffs by winning the division's first half. Tuesday is the last day of the first-half, under the Eastern League's split season.
After the Yard Goats took a 1-0 lead in the first inning on a lead-off double by Manny Melendez, a wild pitch and Tyler Nevin's sacrifice fly, Erie scored two runs in the last of the first against Hartford starter Rico Garcia, who leads the league with eight wins. With two outs and runners on first and second, Melendez dropped a fly ball hit by Josh Lester enabling both runners to score. Garcia was lifted after throwing 36 pitches in the inning.
Erie added two more unearned runs in the second, when Nevin's error kept the inning alive. Jose Azocar followed with a bases loaded two-run single off of reliever Rayan Gonzalez. Isaac Paredes tacked Erie's final run with a fifth inning home run.
The Yard Goats rallied in the sixth on a single by Colton Welker, a hit batsman and a two-out, two-run double by Scott Burcham off the left-field wall that just missed being a home run.
Garcia (8-2), who suffered the loss, allowed two unearned runs on one hit. He walked two and struck out two. Spencer Watkins picked up the win going 5 1/3 innings. He permitted two runs on four hits, walked one and struck out three. Burcham's two-run double led Hartford, while Azocar had two hits and two RBI for the Seawolves.
The Yard Goats return to Dunkin' Donuts Park on Tuesday at 7:05 PM, launching a six-game home stand against the Bowie Baysox. It's expected Hartford will surpass the 1,000,000 mark in attendance at the midway point of its third season, sometime during the home stand. LHP Jack Wybkoop will start for Hartford against LHP Bruce Zimmerman of Bowie in the opener of a three-game series. The game will be broadcast on News Radio 1410 AM, on 100.9 FM, in Spanish on 1120 AM and on the Internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com and on MiLB.com.
Game 1Hartford 3-6-2
WP- Spenser Watkins (2-0)
LP- Rico Garcia (8-2)
T- 2:00 (:30 delay)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 16, 2019
- 'Dogs Complete Three-Game Sweep in Akron, 4-0 and 6-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Bats Struggle in Double-Dip Setbacks - Akron RubberDucks
- Win Streak Snapped in 4-3 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
- Ruta Blast Lifts Thunder to Victory in Bowie - Trenton Thunder
- Jones Shines in Crucial 2-1 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Senators Drop Game and Series with 2-1 Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Rain Washes Away Father's Day Series Finale - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve and Rumble Ponies Rained out on Father's Day - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves Beat Hartford in Rain-Shortened Game - Erie SeaWolves
- SeaWolves, Inclement Weather Stall Yard Goats Playoff Bid - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #63 Rumble Ponies (33-29) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Hartford Yard Goats - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 16th at Akron RubberDucks - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Team Israel to Play at Dunkin' Donuts Park this July
- Yard Goats Installing Additional Netting at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Announce FanFest at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats to Hold Job Fair Tomorrow at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Announce College Baseball Coming Back to Dunkin' Donuts Park