Seattle Mariners to Utilize Cheney Stadium for "Taxi Squad" Practices, Simulated Games Beginning July 27
TACOMA, WA - Cheney Stadium will host the Seattle Mariners "taxi squad" for a 70-day period during the Major League Baseball (MLB) regular season beginning Monday, July 27. Seattle's players, field staff, Cheney Stadium staff and media who enter the facility will be required to follow COVID-19 safety protocols as directed by MLB and state and local health officials.
Mariners players and field staff entering Cheney Stadium for daily practices will be tested for coronavirus every other day and undergo frequent temperature checks. Any Cheney Stadium staff and media who enter the facility will undergo a temperature check and health screening. The stadium will also be used for Tacoma Defiance soccer, which is scheduled to return to Cheney Stadium for USL Championship matches without fans beginning on Saturday, July 18.
"The Rainiers have always been great to work with, and their willingness to jump in and host our squad is another great example of this," said Jerry Dipoto, the Mariners Executive Vice President & General Manager of Baseball Operations. "We are lucky to have a facility and staff of the caliber of Tacoma to partner with and are very appreciative of the efforts of the Tacoma franchise."
"Professional baseball is meant to be played in front of big crowds, and has brought Americans together - like no other sport - since its inception," said Tacoma Rainiers President Aaron Artman. "But this is the next best thing, and Mariners baseball at Cheney Stadium, in any form, is good news."
At this time, fans will not be permitted to enter Cheney Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 15, 2020
- Seattle Mariners to Utilize Cheney Stadium for "Taxi Squad" Practices, Simulated Games Beginning July 27 - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Rainiers Among Minor League Baseball's Top-25 in Merchandise Sales for Fifth-Straight Year
- Rainiers Giving Tacoma a Taste of Baseball with "Cheneyville Grab N' Go" Drive-Thru
- Seattle Mariners to Utilize Cheney Stadium for "Taxi Squad" Practices, Simulated Games Beginning July 27
- Tacoma Rainiers Statement Regarding Cancelation of 2020 Minor League Baseball Season
- Tacoma Rainiers Hosting Virtual Watch Party for Annual 3rd of July Fireworks Show