Sea Dogs Acquire Three First-Round Picks, Two Seconds from Voltigeurs for Veleno
SAINT JOHN - The Saint John Sea Dogs have acquired three first-round draft picks and two second-round picks from the Drummondville Voltigeurs in exchange for centre Joe Veleno.
The package from Drummondville is as follows:
- 2018 1st round pick (previously acquired from the Gatineau Olympiques)
- 2019 1st round pick (previously acquired from the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada)
- 2020 1st round pick
- 2018 2nd round pick (previously acquired from the Quebec Remparts)
- 2020 2nd round pick (conditional)
"This is the biggest transaction in our history, and one of the largest QMJHL trades in recent years," said Sea Dogs President and General Manager Trevor Georgie. "It was very important for us, as an organization, to acquire multiple, high draft picks in a trade like this. Our goal is to build the core of our next championship team, and we believe we have acquired the assets to help us do that."
Veleno, 17, played two-and-a-half seasons with the Sea Dogs, which selected him first overall in the 2015 QMJHL Entry Draft after he was granted exceptional status from Hockey Canada. The Kirkland, Quebec, product totaled 32 goals and 114 points in 138 games, and was part of Saint John's 2017 President Cup Championship team. He was team captain for the first half of the 2017-18 season.
"I cannot say enough about the type of player and the type of person Joe is," Georgie said. "He captured the imagination of hockey fans as the first player granted exceptional status in the QMJHL. He is an exceptional player and an even more exceptional person. He made key contributions in a veteran lineup the last two seasons, and got better as the games increased in importance. He was one of our best players at the 2017 MasterCard Memorial Cup. Off the ice, he's honest, hardworking and humble. He cares deeply about his adopted home in Saint John and we look forward to watching him grow. He will always have a home here in the Port City."
The Sea Dogs' next game is Thursday, December 28th, at 7 p.m. against the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles at Harbour Station.
Tickets are available at the Harbour Station Box Office and online . Buy before the day of the game and SAVE!
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from December 21, 2017
- Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week - QMJHL
- Sea Dogs Acquire Three First-Round Picks, Two Seconds from Voltigeurs for Veleno - Saint John Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saint John Sea Dogs Stories
- April Update: Humboldt Broncos; Radim Salda NHL Draft; Sea Dogs Alumni Break Record
- In Support of the Humboldt Broncos
- Sea Dogs Awarded Second Overall Pick in 2018 QMJHL Entry Draf
- Salda Named to QMJHL Rookie All-Star Team
- QMJHL Draft Lottery Takes Place Thursday