Schmidt Showcases Electric Stuff But Receives No Help
ME - The Asheville Tourists are in a funk offensively. For the second straight game, baserunners were nearly impossible to come by. The Rome Braves handed the Tourists a 5-1 loss in a near mirror image of last night's contest.
The Braves held Asheville to two hits and no runs over the first eight innings on Wednesday morning; however, the Tourists did manage a pair of hits in the ninth and plated their lone run on a Willie MacIver single.
Asheville's starting pitcher, Colten Schmidt, was fantastic. The numbers do not give him justice. Schmidt allowed four runs in the sixth inning on five extremely soft hits. Schmidt had five scoreless frames under his belt before the unfortunate sixth frame took place.
The story is Asheville's lack of offense. The Tourists have scored two runs on seven hits in 18 innings this series. The lead-off man has reached base one time to begin an inning. They have had multiple runners on base in only two innings. All against a pair of Rome starters that have struggled against the rest of the South Atlantic league.
The Tourists have one more opportunity this series to find a win. Asheville is back in action at Rome on Thursday night at 7:00pm. The road trip continues with a four-game series in Lexington following Thursday's contest.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 15, 2019
- RiverDogs Survive Late Power Rally, Walk off for Second Straight Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Late-Inning Rally Falls Short in Extras - West Virginia Power
- Drive Clip Crawdads, 6-5, on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Offense Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- Holderman Dazzles Again in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 15 at Augusta (Game 39) - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Split Pair with 'Hoppers - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Olague Leads Braves to another Win over Tourists - Rome Braves
- Claws Rally for 3-2 Wednesday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (May 15) - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Early Lead Again - Hagerstown Suns
- Schmidt Showcases Electric Stuff But Receives No Help - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Vientos, Lagrange Notch Multi-Hit Games, Columbia Drops Opener in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Defeats Asheville 5-1 in Series Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.