Santa Cruz Warriors Take Third Loss of Season to the South Bay Lakers, 120-119
EL SEGUNDO, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (10-3) held a four-point lead over the South Bay Lakers (7-8) with less than a minute remaining until Lakers guard Andre Ingram scored the final five points to give South Bay the win, 120-119.
Despite Santa Cruz shooting 53.0 percent from the field (44-of-83 FG) and securing a season-high 17 steals tonight, they were outdone by South Bay's 56.5 percent shooting (35-of-62 FG), including 11-of-23 from behind the arc (47.8 3FG%).
Reserve guard Kendrick Nunn logged 22 points, his fifth consecutive 20-point game, with a team-high of four made three-pointers. Two-way guard Damion Lee scored 18 points and logged six rebounds, while guard Antonius Cleveland scored 20 points to go with seven rebounds and four assists.
South Bay forward Travis Wear led the Lakers with 27 points on 9-of-16 from the field (4-of-9 from three) along with seven rebounds. Reserve guard Scott Machado scored 25 points to go with a team-high ten assists, while Ingram reached 24 points on 9-of-12 from the field, featuring a blistering 6-of-7 from deep.
Wear played the entire first quarter and scored 15 points, leading South Bay to a 37-32 lead after the period. Those 37 were the most points the Santa Cruz Warriors have given up in the first frame this season. The Warriors then went on an 11-2 run in the second period, with all points scored by Lee (7 points) and Cleveland (4 points) to get the score to within two points, 60-58 at halftime.
Santa Cruz then went on a 9-0 run in the third to take their first lead (69-67) since the game's opening minute. Cleveland scored 10 points in the period and reserve guard, Kendrick Nunn, poured in seven, but South Bay guard, Andre Ingram, hit two straight threes to regain the lead and keep their third quarter advantage at 91-87.
Santa Cruz took advantage of nine turnovers by the Lakers to take control and lead by as much as six points in the fourth quarter, including three of Nunn's 11 fourth quarter points coming with a three with 2:03 remaining. However, the Warriors wouldn't score another basket for the rest of the game, opening the door for Ingram's transition three-pointer with less than a minute and a pull-up 15-footer with two seconds remaining securing the Lakers win.
The Warriors will conclude their three-games-in-four-nights stretch tomorrow night against the Rio Grande Valley Vipers at Kaiser Permanente Arena (NBC Sports Bay Area PLUS, NBC Sports My Teams App). For information on tickets for Saturday night and for all Santa Cruz Warriors home games, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 8, 2018
- Maten, Skyforce Stay Hot in Win over Legends - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Maten Heats up Skyforce - Texas Legends
- Austin Spurs Fall to Memphis Hustle 120-106 - Austin Spurs
- Hustle Take Down Spurs for Third Straight Win - Memphis Hustle
- Sampson Records First Double-Double of Season, But Windy City Falls 101-91 to Canton - Windy City Bulls
- South Bay Ruffles Erie's Feathers for Home Victory - South Bay Lakers
- Oklahoma City Stuns Westchester in Final Minute - Oklahoma City Blue
- Swarm Complete Comeback Victory over Delaware - Greensboro Swarm
- Charge Corral Bulls - Canton Charge
- Hornets Assign Dwayne Bacon to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Skyforce Acquire Jarnell Stokes - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Returning Player Rights to Walt Lemon Jr. - Windy City Bulls
- Mad Ants Acquire Rights for Alex Hamilton and 2019 Draft Pick from Windy City - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Santa Cruz Warriors Take Third Loss of Season to the South Bay Lakers, 120-119 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Andre Ingram Gifts Santa Cruz a Loss in Closing Seconds - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors to Host Three Hardwood Classics Nights
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Ryan Atkinson General Manager
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce 2019-20 Season Schedule
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Kris Weems Head Coach
- Golden State Warriors Sign Ky Bowman & Damion Lee to Two-Way Contracts