Santa Cruz Warriors Season Ends with Loss to South Bay Lakers, 134-123
EL SEGUNDO, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (15-18) lost to the South Bay Lakers (22-11) in the first round of the NBA G League Playoffs which put an end to the 2021-22 season, 134-123.
The game had six lead changes through the first seven minutes of the game before the Lakers took the momentum and closed the quarter with a 36-29 lead. The Lakers kept the lead throughout the second and went into halftime with a 70-61 lead behind 12 first half three-pointers.
After South Bay outscored the Warriors 14-2 in the first four minutes of the third, Santa Cruz answered with their own 12-0 run to come within nine points of the Lakers. However, the Lakers maintained their hot shooting night and went into the final quarter up 107-90. Santa Cruz sparked a 13-0 run early in the fourth to cut the lead to six but the Lakers stayed true to their game and earned the 134-123 victory.
The Warriors had big nights from center Selom Mawugbe (19 points, 13 rebounds) and Jerome Robinson (19 points, 10 assists). Santa Cruz was led in scoring by guard Kendall Smith with 25 points (10-13 FG).
The Lakers finished the night with 20 made three-pointers (43.5% 3FG). Guard Mac McClung scored a game-high 27 points and added 10 assists. Forward Paris Bass came off the bench to add 17 points and 12 rebounds.
For more information on the Santa Cruz Warriors, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 6, 2022
- Blue Coats Advance with First Round Win over Long Island Nets - Delaware Blue Coats
- Go-Go Advance to Second Round; Earn Wire-To-Wire Victory over Skyhawks - Capital City Go-Go
- Squadron Concludes Inaugural Season with Loss in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Birmingham Squadron
- Mcclung's Big Night Leads South Bay Lakers to Western Conference Semifinals - South Bay Lakers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Season Ends with Loss to South Bay Lakers, 134-123 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Texas Takes First-Ever Playoff Win in Birmingham - Texas Legends
- Coats Advance: Delaware Wins Quarterfinal Showdown with Long Island - Delaware Blue Coats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce 10th Anniversary in Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce Six Home Games for the 2022-23 Season
- Santa Cruz Warriors Recognized as 2021-22 NBA G League Franchise of the Year
- Warriors, Kaiser Permanente and the Athletes' Corner Donate 53,310 Meals to Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Cruz County Through Swishes for Dishes Initiative
- Santa Cruz Warriors Season Ends with Loss to South Bay Lakers, 134-123