Santa Cruz Warriors Collect Franchise Record 20 Steals, Beat RGV 122-112
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (2-1) nabbed a franchise-record 20 steals from the Rio Grande Valley Vipers tonight, lifting the team to a 122-112 win over the defending NBA G League champions. Santa Cruz collected 43 points off 28 RGV turnovers, the most points off turnovers since Delaware scored 44 points off Grand Rapids on January 29, 2019 (per Elias Sports Bureau).
Guard Jeremy Pargo scored 32 points tonight on 65.0 percent shooting (13-of-20 FG) on four made threes, the first 30-point outing of the season for a Warriors player. The Santa Cruz bench combined for 51 points tonight, led by guard Andrew Harrison's 19 points and six assists. Swingman Devyn Marble totaled 16 points and six steals off the bench in 23 minutes, just one theft shy of the Warriors franchise record.
The Vipers were led by Houston Rockets assignee Isaiah Hartenstein's 26 points and 15 rebounds on 66.7 percent shooting (10-of-15 FG). Two-way guard Chris Clemons had 24 points on seven three-pointers (41.2 percent) with a game-high eight assists, and Rockets assignment player Gary Clark had 18 points in 37 minutes.
The Warriors jumped out to a 35-25 first quarter lead thanks to guard Vander Blue's 10 points to open the game. Forward D.J. Johnson kept the team afloat, logging a team-high 12 points and 11 rebounds (eight offensive) in the first half to help Santa Cruz to a narrow 58-56 lead.
Rio Grande Valley set up a dramatic final period by ending the third quarter on an 8-2 run to take an 83-82 lead, thanks to 15 combined points by Hartenstein and Clemons in the period. The Warriors let loose in the final stanza, scoring 40 points in the frame thanks to Pargo's 13 points on three made threes, and Harrison added 10 points and five assists in the period to secure the win.
The Warriors will conclude their two-game Texas road trip Friday night against the Austin Spurs. Santa Cruz returns to Kaiser Permanente Arena on Sunday, November 17 against the Salt Lake City Stars (5:00 p.m. tip-off). All fans in attendance will receive a 2019-20 schedule magnet, courtesy of Sawyer Chiropractic Group. To secure seats for all Santa Cruz Warriors home games, fans are encouraged to visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 12, 2019
- Santa Cruz Warriors Collect Franchise Record 20 Steals, Beat RGV 122-112 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Vipers Fall to Warriors at Home - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyhawks Use Second Quarter Push to Pick up First Franchise Win - College Park Skyhawks
- Pacers Assign Victor Oladipo to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- NBA TV's Season-Long NBA G League Live Game Coverage to Tip off with Raptors 905 vs. Maine Red Claws, Sunday, November 17, at 1 p.m. - G League
- Novant Health to Present the Greensboro Swarm's School Day Game and Time out for Fitness Program - Greensboro Swarm
- Blue Coats Post Team's Highest 76ers Fieldhouse-Scoring Total with 141 Points in Win over Greensboro - Delaware Blue Coats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors Sign Guard Ryan Taylor
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Agua Caliente Clippers, 130-114
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Hard-Fought Contest at South Bay, 128-124
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to Windy City Bulls, 118-83
- Santa Cruz Warriors Bounce Back in New York, Beat Nets 119-109