San Jose Earthquakes Announce Plans for Earth Day Celebration at Team's Match on Sunday, April 21
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes will host an Earth Day Celebration on Sunday, April 21 when they face the Portland Timbers at Buck Shaw Stadium at (8 p.m. PT / CSN California), presented by the County of Santa Clara Household Hazardous Waste. The game marks the sixth straight year that the Earthquakes will have a night focused on sustainability.
The event will feature a number of sustainable businesses in the Epicenter Fan Zone prior to the match, including the Santa Clara University Office of Sustainability, Subaru, Able Building Maintenance and County of Santa Clara Household Hazardous Waste. Subaru will have its 2014 Forester with PZEV (Partial Zero-Emissions Vehicle) and will have information available about their 2014 XV Crosstrek, a hybrid vehicle.
The Earthquakes plan to offset the carbon footprint for energy used at the stadium that night. The Renewable Energy Certificates- from 100 percent wind resources- purchased from Portland, Ore.-based Bonneville Environmental Foundation, will counterbalance 100 percent of the electricity used at Buck Shaw Stadium during the day of the game. The carbon dioxide reduction value is the equivalent of more than 6,989 pounds.
Fans who drive a Hybrid car to the game will receive $5 off parking, while patrons who take VTA or Caltrain to the match will receive a $5 discount for a game ticket by showing their VTA or Caltrain receipt at the Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 18, 2013
- LA Galaxy Look to Spoil Sporting Kansas City's Shutout Streak - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes Announce Plans for Earth Day Celebration at Team's Match on Sunday, April 21 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution happy with - but not relying upon - league-leading defense - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire vs. Columbus Crew Match on Saturday, April 20 Named MLS Stream of the Week - Chicago Fire
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: April 18 - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Match against Seattle this Saturday to be Broadcast on Altitude 2 - Colorado Rapids
- Tryouts Continue this Weekend at First-Time Host Colorado Rapids for Sueño MLS 2013 - MLS
- Sounders FC Announces Reserve League Game at Cheney Stadium - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution to Tour Boston During "Ticket Tuesday" - New England Revolution
- Philadelphia Union to Host Star Wars Day at PPL Park - Philadelphia Union
- Agustin Viana Says "It's Always in My Heart" to Play in MLS - Columbus Crew SC
- Amway Canadian Championship Returns to TVA Sports - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United, Northern Virginia Soccer Club (NVSC) and adidas Reach Affiliate Agreement - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Moves Atop East with 1-0 Win at New York - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.