San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder Emil Cuello
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC has signed midfielder Emil Cuello for the 2021 USL Championship season pending league and federation approval, the team announced today. Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"We are thrilled to welcome Emil Cuello to the SAFC family," said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "Emil is a very technical attacking midfielder who brings MLS experience in his young career. Emil exhibits a growth mindset, is hard-working, ultra-competitive, and has the skillset to create goal-scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates. He holds a very high upside with the qualities to be a prominent player in the USL Championship."
Cuello joins San Antonio from the LA Galaxy (MLS) where he has played since the start of the 2019 season. In two seasons with the Galaxy, Cuello made 24 appearances in all competitions, including 11 last season. In addition, Cuello spent time with the LA Galaxy II in 2019, making six appearances while compiling 520 minutes and creating 16 chances in the USL Championship. The 24-year-old was originally drafted by the Galaxy in the first round (19th overall) of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.
"I am beyond grateful for the opportunity to represent this club," said Cuello. "I am ready to give my all for these colors."
Born in Argentina, Cuello attended college in Texas at Southern Methodist University from 2015-18. The midfielder scored 12 goals in 72 appearances as a Mustang, earning multiple honors including AAC All-Rookie Team, AAC Most Outstanding Offensive Player, AAC First-Team All American and the MVP of the 2018 AAC tournament. During his time in college, Cuello also played for the Ocean City Nor'easters of USL League Two during the 2016 season.
San Antonio FC is currently preparing for the upcoming USL Championship season, and fans can purchase 2021 season tickets by calling or texting the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5657 or by visiting SanAntonioFC.com. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook (@SAFCUSL), as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC) and Instagram (@sanantoniofc) .
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 20, 2021
- San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder Emil Cuello - San Antonio FC
- Dave Carton Named Head Coach of Independence 2 - Charlotte Independence
- United Soccer League Launches Impact Committee, Somos Unidos Foundation Executive Director Named Committee Lead - New Mexico United
- FC Tulsa Set for Soft Opening of Team Shop on Saturday - FC Tulsa
- A Letter to Fans from Bruce Mandell - Hartford Athletic
- Republic FC Sign Midfielder Tucker Bone - Sacramento Republic FC
- Indy Eleven Represented on New USL Impact Committee - Indy Eleven
- USL Impact Committee Launches, Identifies Areas of Focus - USL
- USL Expects 'Productive Two Weeks' as Winter Summit Goes All-Digital - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.