San Antonio FC Signs Defender Kai Greene
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC signed defender Kai Greene for the 2019 USL Championship season pending league and federation clearance, the club announced today. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.
The 25-year-old has played in 68 USL Championship matches since 2016, tallying 5,371 minutes of action in league play. Greene appeared in 18 matches for Rio Grande Valley FC in 2018, recording 1,345 minutes of action during which he tallied 48 clearances, 41 interceptions, 54 tackles, and a 70 percent duels success rate for the Toros. In the attack, the defender contributed with eight chances created and a 75 percent passing accuracy.
"We're excited for Kai to join our squad," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "He's a player we identified during the offseason to come in and help our back line. He's versatile between the center-back and right-back positions and has three years of USL experience. We're looking forward to working with him in 2019."
During the 2017 USL season, Greene scored one goal and ranked second in the league in tackles won with 73, while also recording 168 duels won, 75 clearances and 51 interceptions. In 2016, Greene recorded two assists in 25 appearances for the Toros, tallying 1,859 minutes of action in the regular season while adding 90 minutes in the USL Cup Playoffs.
Prior to joining SAFC, the defender played four years of Division 1 collegiate soccer at Seton Hall University from 2011-2014, scoring nine goals and recording six assists for the Pirates including a career-best five goals during his senior year.
Following his collegiate career, Greene earned training opportunities in Europe with German clubs Borussia Neunkirchen and SV Elversberg in 2015. The New Jersey native then signed his first professional contract with RGV FC ahead of the club's inaugural season in March 2016.
"I'm very excited to join this professional club," Greene said. "It's important that the fans get a championship-caliber team this season and we will work hard to give them that. We have a lot to prove and we'll do so by working collectively."
San Antonio FC is currently preparing for the upcoming USL season, and fans can purchase 2019 season tickets by calling the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5657 or by visiting SanAntonioFC.com. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook, as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC), Instagram (@sanantoniofc) and Snapchat (SanAntonioFC).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 6, 2018
- Switchbacks FC Sign Midfielder Rony Argueta - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Offensive Standout Jason Johnson Re-Signs with Phoenix Rising - Phoenix Rising FC
- Louisville City FC Hires Mario Sanchez as Director of Youth Development and Community Relations - Louisville City FC
- U.S. Women's National Team to Take on England in 2019 SheBelieves Cup at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Kai Greene - San Antonio FC
- Republic FC Launch Collection Drive for Camp Fire Victims - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Adds Forward Bradford Jamieson IV on Loan from LA Galaxy
- San Antonio FC Signs SAFC Pro Academy Standout Leo Torres to Professional Contract
- San Antonio FC Announces 2019 Promotional Schedule
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Ebenezer Ackon
- San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder Cristian Parano