San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 at Home to El Paso Locomotive FC
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (4-4-6) fell 1-2 to El Paso Locomotive at Toyota Field on Wednesday evening. Despite a second-half goal from Axel Sjoberg, SAFC couldn't find the equalizer on the evening.
"We did more than enough to win this game," said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "Early on we created some clear-cut chances that we have to execute, and if we put away those chances it's a different game. The guys pressed very well, particularly in the first half. Some calls definitely didn't go our way and that's disappointing to see, but that's soccer. Our guys performed well, we weren't clinical enough but now all we can do is reflect, learn and grow."
El Paso opened the scoring after the referee spotted a handball on SAFC, pointing to the spot for a penalty kick. After scoring the first attempt, former SAFC striker Luis Solignac had to retake after the referee whistled for infringement. Solignac would go on to make the second attempt for the 1-0 lead. El Paso doubled the lead in the second-half when Diego Luna scored in the 71st minute in what was the eventual winner.
SAFC created a number of clear-cut scoring opportunities throughout the match but couldn't find the magic touch. Then, in the 73rd minute, a set piece delivery from Cam Lindley found the head of Sjoberg who headed home to cut the lead in half. The Alamo City club would come close to equalizing in the last 20 minutes, but in the end, it wasn't to be.
San Antonio has a quick turnaround, preparing now for a road trip, starting in Austin to face the Bold on Saturday, July 31.
ELP: 0-1, Luis Solignac (penalty) 18'
ELP: 0-2, Diego Luna (Sebastian Velasquez assist) 71'
SAFC: 1-2, Axel Sjoberg (Cam Lindley assist) 73'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Cam Lindley) 23'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Axel Sjoberg) 27'
ELP: Yellow Card (Matt Bahner) 30'
ELP: Yellow Card (Diego Luna) 37'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Mohammed Abu) 42'
ELP: Yellow Card (Richie Ryan) 59'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Connor Maloney (c) (Chris Lema 73'), Mathieu Deplagne, Axel Sjoberg, Sam Gleadle; M: Mohammed Abu, Cam Lindley, Marcus Epps (Ollie Wright 73'), Emil Cuello (Justin Dhillon 61'), Jose Gallegos; F: Nathan
Substitutions not used: Carlos Mercado, Joaquin Varela, Liam Doyle, Leo Torres
SAFC fell at home for just the second time this season and second time since 2019...marks the first season SAFC has lost more than one at home in a single season since 2018...SAFC is now 44-12-25 all-time in regular season play at home
SAFC defender Axel Sjoberg scored his first goal for the club off a set piece...Sjoberg added three clearances and five possessions gained
SAFC midfielder Cam Lindley recorded his second assist in as many games, giving him three on the season which is tied for the team-lead...after the match, Lindley also leads the USL Championship with 37 chances created
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 28, 2021
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 at Home to El Paso Locomotive FC - San Antonio FC
- El Paso Locomotive Down San Antonio FC, 2-1 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Atlanta United 2 Wins 2-1 vs. FC Tulsa - Atlanta United 2
- Unbeaten at Wild Horse Pass, Rising Hosts No. 2 in the West, RGV Toros, this Saturday at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- FC Tulsa Falls at Atlanta United 2, 2-1 - FC Tulsa
- Ozzie Cisneros Scores First Professional Goal as Sporting II Falls 2-1 to Louisville City FC - Sporting Kansas City II
- Super Sub Gonzalez Sparks LouCity in Another Win at SKC II - Louisville City FC
- SD Loyal Begins Two-Match Road Trip at Tacoma Defiance - San Diego Loyal
- Roots in the Community: Outdoor Play Day at Liberation Park - Oakland Roots
- Around the Leagues: Olympics, Gold Cup, Transfer Window Heats Up - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: FC Tulsa at Atlanta United 2, Wednesday, July 28 - FC Tulsa
- Connecticut's Pro Pathway Already Making an Impact - Hartford Athletic
- Danny Barrera and Alex Lara Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC and Austin Bold FC Play to Scoreless Draw
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. Austin Bold FC
- San Antonio FC Clinches Playoff Berth for Second Consecutive Season
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Shares Points with FC Tulsa After 1-1 Draw at Toyota Field