Sam Kerr Named NWSL Player of the Week
CHICAGO - Chicago Red Stars forward Sam Kerr has been voted NWSL Player of the Week for Week 11 of the 2019 season by the NWSL Media Association. In her first game back from the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup, Kerr dominated the game against Orlando Pride on Sunday with three goals to help win the match for Chicago 3-2.
Kerr wasted little time with her return to the NWSL and showed why she is the premier goal scorer in women's soccer. It took the Australian forward just seven minutes to score her first goal after she pounced on a turnover on the backline and finished it. Before the first half ended, she added her second goal and secured the third goal in the 55th minute of play to lead the Red Stars to their first win after going scoreless in the last three.
The 2017 and 2018 NWSL Golden Boot winner is still at the top of the table for goals this season as she extended her lead with nine goals.
Kerr and the Red Stars return to SeatGeek Stadium this Saturday, July 6, at 7 PM against Sky Blue FC.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from July 2, 2019
- Spirit Hire New FO Sales Staff - Washington Spirit
- Sam Kerr Named NWSL Player of the Week - Chicago Red Stars
- Sam Kerr Voted NWSL Player of the Week - NWSL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Red Stars Stories
- Chicago Acquires Full Roster Protection in 2020 NWSL Expansion Draft from Racing Louisville FC
- Emily Boyd Suffers Knee Injury
- Chicago Falls to Sky Blue FC in Fall Series Finale
- Red Stars Announce Addition of Ella Stevens to Roster
- Six Chicago Red Stars Called up to U.S. WNT Camp