Saints Complete Phase I of USHL Draft
The Dubuque Fighting Saints wrapped up Phase I of the USHL draft on Monday night. Phase I of the draft is used to select younger players, in this case 2003 birth years. The draft room led by Saints General Manager Kalle Larsson and Director of Scouting Colby Drost. The Saints drafted six forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender. Here are how the picks broke down.
Round 1: F Kenny Connors (5th Overall)
Round 2: G Hobie Hedquist (20th Overall)
Round 3: D Max Burkholder (36th Overall)
Round 4: Nick Roukounakis (51st Overall)
Round 5: Riley Rosenthal (55th Overall)
Round 6: Max Montes (80th Overall)
Round 7: Myles Hilman (100th Overall)
Round 8: Connor Kurth (110th Overall)
Round 9: Ryan Del Monte (125th Overall)
Round 10: Declan Loughnane (140th Overall)
"We think we struck a good balance and got a little bit of everything," said Drost. "When you look at the forwards we got in the draft, they all possess different skill sets that can benefit our team. We have a few speedy guys, a few big forwards and a lot of skill all around."
"When it comes to our defensive draft picks, we grabbed three right-handed defensemen," Drost added. "Again, just like the forwards there was a good mix of skill and size in that group."
"We took Hedquist in the second round and with that pick we feel we got the best goalie in the draft," said Drost.
"We had a focus on all three positions, and we felt like we got our top guys at each position," Larsson added. "We rounded this draft out with a bunch of good players. I have to give a lot of credit to our scouting staff and of course Colby Drost for all their work throughout the year."
The Saints will continue their preparation for next season with the Phase II draft. That will start at 10 am and the draft continues until each team rounds out their camp rosters. Follow along with the Saints draft results on Twitter.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from May 6, 2019
- Muskegon Selects Seven Skaters in USHL Phase I Draft - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Tri-City Completes Phase I of 2019 USHL Draft - Tri-City Storm
- Black Hawks Picks Are In - Waterloo Black Hawks
- RoughRiders Select 10 Players in USHL's Phase 1 Draft - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Saints Complete Phase I of USHL Draft - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Force Select Nine Players in 2019 USHL Phase I Draft - Fargo Force
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dubuque Fighting Saints Stories
- Gaber's OT Winner Catapults Dubuque to Victory
- Weekend Primer: Saints Look to Bounce Back During Military Appreciation Weekend
- Late Fargo Goal Propels Force over Saints 2-1
- Waterloo Beats Dubuque on Late Penalty Shot Goal
- Weekend Primer: Dubuque Puts Unbeaten Regulation Streak on Line against Waterloo and Fargo