Ryan Maynard Named 2021 Gervais-Munger Award Recipient
The 2020-21 season marks the fifth straight year of the QMJHL's partnership with the "Hooked on School Days". As in years past, the initiative's motto "Our actions, a + in their success!" stands to show that a lot of different individuals can and will play a major role in a student's life.
During this time, the League takes the opportunity to present the Gervais-Munger Award. The Gervais-Munger Award for Academic Perseverance is presented annually to a player from each of the 18 QMJHL teams who has distinguished himself through his efforts and his perseverance in academics. This award comes with a $500 scholarship from the QMJHL Foundation and a commemorative plaque.
This season, the Charlottetown Islanders recipient of the Gervais-Munger award is Ryan Maynard. A first-year player, Ryan is currently enrolled in the electrical engineering program at Cambrian College. In his first semester, Ryan received an 86% overall average. Ryan has utilized the resources available to him, including receiving assistance from his former high school guidance counsellor and participating in math tutoring.
Ryan moved to Charlottetown from Cochrane Ontario, which is over 21 hours away. This was the first season that Ryan has had to complete remote studies, in addition to being away from his parents for the first time. He has had to overcome the challenge of not being able to see his family until the Christmas break due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ryan is a model of perseverance for other players who face academic challenges in their studies and/or face other personal obstacles, and has had an excellent season both on and off the ice!
From all of us at the Charlottetown Islanders, we'd like to congratulate Ryan Maynard as this year's recipient of the Gervais-Munger Award!
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2021
- Ryan Maynard Named 2021 Gervais-Munger Award Recipient - Charlottetown Islanders
- QMJHL unveils the Gervais-Munger Award winners as part of the 2021 Hooked on School Days - QMJHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlottetown Islanders Stories
- Isles Meet Eagles in Kevin Elliott's Final Home Game
- Isles Back on Winning Ways After Defeating Moose on Friday Night
- Isles Hope to Start New Winning Streak in Rematch against Moose
- Kevin Elliott to Join Hockey Canada as Manager of Medical Services
- Moose Finally Defeat Isles, 15-Game Win Streak Comes to An End