Ruta Blast Lifts Thunder to Victory in Bowie
A clutch sixth inning, capped by a go-ahead two-run homer by Ben Ruta, brought the Thunder back from a three-run deficit en route to a 4-3 win over the Bowie Baysox on Sunday afternoon at Prince George's Stadium.
The win, along with a Reading Fightin Phils win over Harrisburg and a Hartford Yard Goats loss to Erie, kept the Thunder (37-27) in a two-way tie for first place in the Eastern Division with one game remaining in the first half.
Trailing 3-1, the Thunder got a single from Rashad Crawford to open the top of the sixth inning. Crawford advanced to second on a groundout before scoring on a base hit by Kyle Holder, trimming the deficit to one run. Ruta then launched a two-run homer to right field off Baysox (29-38) starter Dean Kremer (1-4), giving the Thunder a 4-3 lead.
Kremer had stymied the Thunder through his first five innings, allowing just two baserunners: a one-out double by Holder in the first inning and a solo home run by Mandy Alvarez in the fifth. The right-hander struck out nine and walked none through six innings of work.
For the third straight game, the Baysox had scored first in the game. Yusniel Diaz roped a two-run double to left field to open the scoring in the bottom of the third, the final inning of work for Thunder starter Adonis Rosa.
Preston Palmeiro added onto Bowie's lead with a fourth-inning RBI-single off Brady Lail (1-0), but the Thunder bullpen combined to hold the Baysox scoreless the rest of the way, with Lail, Brooks Kriske, Will Carter, Trevor Lane, and Daniel Alvarez all seeing time on the mound in relief.
Kellin Deglan doubled with two out in the sixth inning to extend his season-high on-base and hitting streaks to 10 and seven games, respectively.
Thunder pitching stranded nine Bowie baserunners, including stranding the tying run twice. The game ended a season-high seven-game winning streak for the Baysox.
Your Thunder return home to open a three-game series against the Richmond Flying Squirrels on Tuesday at 7 p.m., looking to clinch the first half with a victory. RHP Deivi Garcia (2-2, 3.50) will start for the Thunder, and LHP Garrett Williams (1-6, 4.06) will go for Richmond. Dollar hot dogs will be available for all and kids can eat free for Super Value Tuesday. Tickets are available by phone at 609-394-3300 or online at TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 16, 2019
- 'Dogs Complete Three-Game Sweep in Akron, 4-0 and 6-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Bats Struggle in Double-Dip Setbacks - Akron RubberDucks
- Win Streak Snapped in 4-3 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
- Ruta Blast Lifts Thunder to Victory in Bowie - Trenton Thunder
- Jones Shines in Crucial 2-1 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Senators Drop Game and Series with 2-1 Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Rain Washes Away Father's Day Series Finale - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve and Rumble Ponies Rained out on Father's Day - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves Beat Hartford in Rain-Shortened Game - Erie SeaWolves
- SeaWolves, Inclement Weather Stall Yard Goats Playoff Bid - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #63 Rumble Ponies (33-29) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Hartford Yard Goats - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 16th at Akron RubberDucks - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Update from the Trenton Thunder
- Individual Tickets on Sale Thursday, Promotional Schedule Revealed for 2020 Season
- Swing into 2020 with New Entertainment Suite at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Name Revealed for 4th Generation of Thunder Bat Dog Tradition
- Thunder Welcome Next Generation of Bat Dog Tradition