RubberDucks Topped by Portland
Portland's Michael Chavis drove in three runs on a pair of hits, and Matt Kent picked up his eighth win, as the Sea Dogs defeated the RubberDucks, 6-2, Sunday afternoon at Canal Park in Akron, Ohio.
The Sea Dogs (49-68) built a formidable lead with three runs in the third inning off Jake Paulson (6-5). Already holding a 1-0 lead, Michael Chavis laced a one-out, two-run double to left, and Bobby Dalbec followed with an RBI double of his own to extend the Portland lead to 4-0.
Kent (8-8) worked seven innings and allowed just two runs on three hits. The EL all-star lefty walked two and struck out five. His eight wins are the most on the Sea Dogs. Paulson also lasted seven innings for the RubberDucks (67-52). After a rocky third inning, Paulson settled down and sat down the final 11 batters he faced. It was Paulson's return to action after missing a start due to a blister on his right middle finger.
The RubberDucks reached Kent for a run in the fourth on a single by Tyler Krieger and a double by Joe Sever, who celebrated his 28thbirthday Sunday. It was Sever's 57thRBI and his 27thdouble, both team-highs. The Ducks added a run in the fifth on a bases-loaded walk to Andrew Calica to make it 4-2.
The RubberDucks had an atypical homestand, losing five of the six games...The Ducks had only one at-bat with a runner in scoring position the entire game...Kent and lefty Trey Ball combined to retire the final 13 Ducks batters...Portland's Bobby Dalbec socked a two-run homer in the eighth to give the Sea Dogs a 6-2 lead...It was Dalbec's fifth homer for Portland and his 31stoverall on the season which is tied for the Minor League Baseball lead...Time of game: 2:12... Attendance: 5,839 (sellout).
On the Pond
Following an off-day Monday, the RubberDucks will embark on an eight-game road trip with the first of three games at Binghamton on Tuesday night at 6:35. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Curve Drop Finale to SeaWolves in Extras - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves Split Series with Extra Innings Win - Erie SeaWolves
- Zimmermann Dominates in 3-1 Baysox Debut - Bowie Baysox
- Resilient Fightins Win Eighth Straight - Reading Fightin Phils
- Reading's Barrage Trumps Ponies Early Offense - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox, Rain Put Damper on "Steamed Cheeseburgers" - Hartford Yard Goats
- Mother Nature Prevents Completion of Sunday's 'Cats Game - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Senators Strike Down Thunder with 6-3 Victory - Harrisburg Senators
- Chavis, Dalbec, and Kent Lead the Way in 6-2 Win at Akron - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves to be Honored as Bush's Home Run Recipes Champions on Friday - Erie SeaWolves
- Nine for Nothing; Squirrels & Cats Suspended in Extras - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- RubberDucks Topped by Portland - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Drop Close Finale in Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #119 - Rumble Ponies (55-63) at Fightin Phils (57-60) - 5:15 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Game Notes vs. Altoona - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 12th at Akron - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.