RubberDucks Fall to Trenton as Pitchers Dominate
Trenton's Chris Gittens drilled an RBI double in the top of the eighth inning to break a 1-1 tie, and three Thunder pitchers combined on a two-hitter, as the Thunder claimed a 2-1 victory over the Akron RubberDucks Friday night in the 2018 home opener at Canal Park in Akron, Ohio.
With the game tied, 1-1, in the eighth, Trenton leadoff hitter Gosuke Katoh reached on a single to center field of Akron reliever Leandro Linares (1-1). Gittens followed with a double off the wall in center to score Katoh and give the Thunder (4-4) the lead. It was Gittens' second hit of the night and his third RBI of the season.
Akron starter Michael Peoples worked five innings of shutout baseball. He allowed only one hit, a fifth-inning double by Ben Ruta, struck out two and walked one. Lefty Matt Whitehouse followed Peoples to the mound and allowed a run in the seventh inning on a brazen steal of home by Trenton's Mandy Alvarez that tied the game, 1-1.
Joe Sever smacked a solo homer to right in the fifth inning. It was his first of the season and gave the RubberDucks (4-4) a 1-0 lead. It was the only run allowed by Trenton starter Justice Sheffield.
The Alvarez steal of home came on a 3-2 pitch with the bases loaded and two outs in the seventh. It was his first steal of the season...Caleb Frare (1-0) earned the win in relief with 2.1 scoreless innings...Trenton closer Joe Harvey struck out the side in the ninth to claim his first save...Thunder pitching notched 13 strikeouts...Akron's Sam Haggerty made his first start in left field...The sellout crowd of 8,296 was the largest opening day crowd in Akron since 2006...Time of game: 2:33...Attendance: 8,296.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks and Thunder will play the middle game of the weekend series on Saturday afternoon at 2:00. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 13, 2018
- River City Blues - Reading Fightin Phils
- Johnson Dazzles Record Crowd in Home Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Largest Crowd in Senators Home Opening History Watches 5-1 Victory - Harrisburg Senators
- Bichette's First Triple, Pentecost's First HR Not Enough in Fisher Cats Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Yard Goats Beat Former Major League Pitcher for Second Straight Victory - Hartford Yard Goats
- RubberDucks Fall to Trenton as Pitchers Dominate - Akron RubberDucks
- Clutch Play from Alvarez and Strong Pitching Lead 2-1 Win over Akron - Trenton Thunder
- Altoona Spoils UPMC Park Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Winning Streak Snapped with 5-1 Loss - Bowie Baysox
- Four-Run Fourth Helps Curve Spoil SeaWolves' Home Opener - Altoona Curve
- Great Way to Start: 'Dogs Win Home Opener 4-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Alonso's Blast Not Enough for Ponies in Portland, 4-2 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Acevedo Placed on 7-Day Disabled List - Trenton Thunder
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #7 - Rumble Ponies (3-3) at Sea Dogs (1-5) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 13th vs. Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox to Host Educator Appreciation Night on April 20 - Bowie Baysox
- Governor Northam to Throw First Pitch at Richmond Flying Squirrels' Home Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Announce Transactions - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.