Royals to Host Mental Health Awareness Game in Partnership with CMHA - BC Division
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals have partnered with Canadian Mental Health Association - BC Division (CMHA) for a mental health awareness game this Saturday against the Vancouver Giants at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.
The game day experience will have several features to promote the importance of mental health, including:
A CMHA-run kiosk on the concourse where fans can learn more about mental health and the organization's community-based services.
A ceremonial puck drop and photo opportunity with CMHA - BC Division.
Videos featuring Victoria players talking about the importance of mental health.
Public address announcements about mental health and CMHA -BC Division.
This mental health awareness game is part of the Royals ongoing partnership with CMHA - BC Division and its Talk Today program. Launched across the Western Hockey League in 2016, Talk Today provides an important opportunity to address the mental health needs of players. Through this program, over 800 WHL players and over 100 coaches, billets and staff have received mental health and suicide prevention training across the league.
The key piece of the Talk Today program has been to educate players about mental health and suicide prevention. Each team is also linked to a CMHA mental health coach, who provides support and mental health resources to individuals in need.
"We are grateful for the support of the Victoria Royals," Jocelyn de Montmorency, CMHA's Program Manager in Victoria said. "Having good role models in our community to talk about the importance of taking care of our mental health, the same way we look after our physical health, helps break down the stigma and encourages others to speak out and get the help they need."
"We are proud to work alongside the CMHA toward ending any stigma associated with mental health," Royals' President and General Manager Cameron Hope said. "There is great strength in asking for help, and reaffirming that message is very important."
Tickets are available for Saturday's game with puck drop at 7:05 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Select Your Tickets box office, over the phone by calling 250-220-7777, or online at www.selectyourtickets.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2020
- Blades' De La Gorgendiere & Silvertips' Wolf Named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - WHL
- Guenther Breaks Two Oil Kings Rookie Records in 10-1 Victory over ICE - Edmonton Oil Kings
- February 25 - Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Oil Kings Protect Home Ice - Winnipeg Ice
- NHL Black History Month Mobile Museum to Visit Portland - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals to Host Mental Health Awareness Game in Partnership with CMHA - BC Division - Victoria Royals
- Wheat King Prospect, Hammet Named Adam Herold Memorial Award Winner - Brandon Wheat Kings
- ICE and Oil Kings Square off in Rematch - Winnipeg Ice
- Wheat Kings to Promote Mental Health Awareness - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.