Royals Complete Deal with Hurricanes
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals today announced that the club has acquired 2002-born forward Nick Dorrington, a fourth round pick in the 2021 WHL Bantam Draft and a seventh round pick in this year's draft from the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for 2000-born defenceman Mitch Prowse, an eighth round pick in 2022 and a conditional seventh round pick in 2023.
A product of Langley, BC, Dorrington played in 36 games for Lethbridge last season, his first in the WHL, and recorded a goal and an assist to go along with 18 penalty minutes.
The 6-3, 180 lb forward spent the 2018-19 season with the Yale Hockey Academy Midget Prep team of the Canadian Sport School Hockey League (CSSHL). In 35 games for Yale, Dorrington registered 15 points (8g-7a) and 26 minutes in penalties.
The 18-year-old was originally listed by the Hurricanes in the fall of 2017.
Prowse, who will be an overage defenceman next year, played in 64 regular season games with the Royals last season and collected 33 points (3g-30a) to go along with 76 penalty minutes. The 6-2, 200 lb defenceman has played in 239 career WHL games, all with Victoria (2016-20), and has tallied 81 points (9g-72a) and 200 minutes in penalties.
"Mitch has been an exceptional Victoria Royal, on and off the ice, and we thank him for his hard work and dedication over these past four seasons," President and General Manager Cameron Hope said. "It is not an easy decision to say goodbye to a player like Mitch. He and his family have been a part of our family since his WHL draft day. We wish him success in Lethbridge."
The native of Kelowna, BC was selected by the Royals in the second round, 35th overall, in the 2015 WHL Bantam Draft.
The Royals would like to thank all of their supporters for a fantastic 2019-20 hockey season. Fans who still hold unused vouchers, or had purchased tickets, for any of the team's three cancelled regular season home games in March are encouraged to keep them for use during the upcoming 2020-21 season. Royals Ticket Pack Members should also keep an eye on their mailbox over the next few weeks for full renewal details, including missed game credits.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2020
- Prospect Profile: Owen Pickering - Swift Current Broncos
- Hurricanes Acquire Prowse from Victoria - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Royals Complete Deal with Hurricanes - Victoria Royals
- Most Improved Player and Best Defensive Forward Awarded as 2019-20 Year-End Awards Presented by Great Western Brewing Continue - Prince Albert Raiders
- Western Hockey League Announces Goaltender of the Year Nominees for Del Wilson Memorial Trophy - WHL
- Jiri Patera Named WHL Eastern Conference Goalie of the Year - Brandon Wheat Kings
- on this Day: April 17, 2015 - Portland Winterhawks
- Hopwo Wins 2019-2020 South Country Co-Op Top Defensive Forward Award - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Vancouver Giants 2019-20 Awards to be Announced Monday on Sportsnet 650 - Vancouver Giants
- Wheat Kings Preparing for "Virtual" WHL Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- 2020 WHL Bantam Draft Preview Ã¢ÂÂ British Columbia - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.