RoughRiders Nicholas & Ramirez Make Post-Season All-Star Team
FRISCO, TEXAS (AUGUST 27, 2013) - The Texas League announced the post-season awards today, and two RoughRiders from this season's team were honored by the circuit. Brett Nicholas was named the league's All-Star designated hitter, the same position he filled for the South Division at the All-Star Game this year. Neil Ramirez, who was traded to the Cubs on Friday to complete the Matt Garza trade, was one of nine pitchers to make the roster.
Nicholas, 25, leads the RoughRiders in batting (.299), home runs (21) and RBI (89). His batting average is currently fourth among qualifying players and first among active Texas Leaguers. He is first in total bases (236), hits (143) and RBI, fourth in the circuit in runs (70) and third in slugging (.493). He has set career highs in hits, triples (3), home runs, runs scored and RBI. He is currently second in the league in games played (129). Nicholas was honored for the first time as an All-Star of any kind when he made the Mid-Season All-Star Team for the South Division; this is his first ever professional post-season selection.
Ramirez, 24, spent time with the 'Riders for the third straight year in 2013 and went 9-3 in 21 starts with a 3.84 ERA and 127 strikeouts in 103 innings. He started the All-Star Game at Northwest Arkansas for the South Division on June 25 and was the winning pitcher in the contest. Ramirez struck out 11.1 batters per nine innings this season, which would be a career-best if the rate holds up. Now a member of the Cubs' Double-A affiliate, he departed Frisco as the Texas League leader in strikeouts and ranked fifth in the league in wins (second on Frisco). The Virginia Beach, Virginia native held opposing batters to a .213 average which would be first in the Texas League if he qualified among league leaders. Ramirez was one of nine pitchers selected to the team and one of seven starting pitchers.
George Springer of Corpus Christi was selected to the All-Star Team in addition to being named Texas League Player of the Year. David Martinez, also of the Hooks, was tabbed as the Pitcher of the Year, while Rich Dauer of the San Antonio Missions earned Manager of the Year honors.
The 'Riders open a series with Corpus Christi Hooks on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. at Dr Pepper Ballpark. Rangers rehabber Nick Tepesch makes the start for the 'Riders. For information on tickets to see the RoughRiders for the final games in 2013, please call (972) 731-9200, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.ridersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 27, 2013
- Travelers Claim Series Opener, 8-4 - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals Rally Late to Beat Drillers - Tulsa Drillers
- Travs Take Opener from Springfield - Arkansas Travelers
- Naturals Take Advantage of Miscues in Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Nick Martinez Solid in 'Riders Victory - Frisco RoughRiders
- Lindsey, Hynick Voted TL All Stars - Arkansas Travelers
- Hooks to Honor Universal All-Stars Sunday - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Hooks Lease Officially Extended - Corpus Christi Hooks
- 2013 Playoff Tickets Go on Sale at 9am on Wednesday - Springfield Cardinals
- Springer, Martinez Headline All-Stars - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Six Naturals Selected for Arizona Fall League - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Four Drillers Named to Texas League All-Star Team - Tulsa Drillers
- RoughRiders Nicholas & Ramirez Make Post-Season All-Star Team - Frisco RoughRiders
- Shelly's Retirement Party Set for Saturday - Arkansas Travelers
- Let's Go Hooks - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Series Preview - Bonifacio Leads Last Stand - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Win in Extra Innings - Midland RockHounds
- Carpenter Picks up First Win for Hounds - Midland RockHounds
- Hooks Down Hounds in Season Series Finale - Midland RockHounds
- Hooks Win Series Behind Cruz's Career Night - San Antonio Missions
- Cruz K's 14 in Complete Game Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.