Rosario Homers in Series-Opening Setback
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - Center fielder Jeisson Rosario went 4-for-4 with a home run and two RBIs on Wednesday night, but the TinCaps fell to the Burlington Bees (Los Angeles Angels), 6-2, at Parkview Field.
Rosario and Fort Wayne (13-13, 45-50) scored right off the bat. Leading off in his 79th game of the season, the 18-year-old Rosario launched his second home run over the right-center field wall to put the TinCaps in front, 1-0. It was Rosario's first home run since April 9 when he hit an inside-the-park home run against the Lansing Lugnuts in the TinCaps' fifth game of the season.
Burlington (6-19, 36-58) didn't take long to respond, however. In the top of the second, Julio Garcia hit a ground ball up the middle to score Spencer Griffin from second and tie the game, 1-1.
Right away, though, the TinCaps took the lead back in the bottom half of the frame. With two outs and shortstop Gabriel Arias at second, Rosario came through with an RBI single up to middle to give Fort Wayne a 2-1 lead.
After a scoring lull, the Bees responded in the top of the eighth to take a lead that would hold. With runners at second and third, Connor Fitzsimons singled up the middle to plate two and put Burlington ahead, 3-2.
Burlington added three insurance runs in the top of the ninth inning to push its lead to 6-2.
TinCaps starter Luis Patiño threw four innings with six strikeouts. He allowed four singles, one run, and only one walk. The 18-year-old Colombian holds a 1.05 ERA since May 23, which is tied for the lowest ERA among any qualifying pitcher in Class Low-A in that span.
For Rosario, it was his team-leading fourth four-hit game of the year. Meanwhile, third baseman Kelvin Melean added a single, extending his on-base streak to nine through his first nine games with the team.
Thursday, July 19 vs. Burlington Bees (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Tom Cosgrove
- Bees Probable Starter: RHP Michael Santos
Watch: Comcast Network 81
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 19, 2018
- Hot Rods Batter Snappers, 8-0 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Extra-Large Parkview Field Crowd Sees TinCaps Fall to Bees in Extras - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Fall 8-0 in Rained Shortened Game - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Go to Extra Innings, Fall 1-0 in Wisconsin - Dayton Dragons
- Montero Powers Peoria Past Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Missed Opportunities Haunt Bandits in 5-2 Loss to South Bend - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Five-Run Fifth Propels Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Watson's Gem Drops Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Montero Slugs Two Homers as Chiefs Clinch Series - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Claim 6-3 Victory Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Burlington (Game 96) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Claim Middle Game over LumberKings - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings return home to close out July - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Winning streak snapped in 8-1 loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons 5K at Fifth Third Field this Weekend - Dayton Dragons
- River Bandits Swipe 2-1 Win over Cubs in Series Opener - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps to Undergo Leadership Changes at the End of the Year - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Whitecaps Grind for Win in 11 - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rosario Homers in Series-Opening Setback - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Fall in Opener at Beloit, 7-3 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hargrove Propels Snappers to 7-3 Win over Hot Rods - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.