Rookie Power Launches Sea Dogs Past Titan 5-1
The Saint John Sea Dogs downed the Acadie-Bathurst Titan 5-1 on Friday night at Harbour Station. The Sea Dogs improved to 13-46-2-3 on the season while the Titan drop to 8-51-4-1. Saint John is now just one point back of Shawinigan for the final playoff spot with just four games remaining in the season.
The story of the game was the performance of the Sea Dogs young core. Rookies scored all five goals for Saint John and combined for 12 points on the night.
Saint John opened the scoring at 4:19 of the first period when Charlie DesRoches potted a power play goal, his 10th goal of the season. Fellow rookies Josh Lawrence and Jérémie Poirier had the assists on the play.
The Titan tied it up four minutes later on their own power play when Liam Léonard walked in front and tucked it past Mikhail Denisov.
Josh Lawrence then scored his 10th of the year at the 17:02 mark when Filip Prikryl skated behind the Titan net and left a nifty drop pass for Josh who sniped it home. 2-1 Dogs after one.
Prikryl picked up his twelfth of the year on the power play at 4:09 of the second when Benjamin Gagné let loose from the blue line and Prikryl was there to tip it home to make it 3-1 Saint John.
In the third period Jérémie Poirier was awarded his sixth of the campaign when his shoot-in fooled Grametbauer. The Titan thought they saved the puck before it crossed the line but the referee was on the goal line and immediately indicated a goal. After a short review the goal was confirmed and the Sea Dogs took a 4-1 lead.
With just over three minutes to go in the game Josh Lawrence scored his second of the night on a two-on-one feed from Filip Prikryl for a final score of 5-1.
Denisov finished with an impressive 32 save night, while Grametbauer had 28 stops in the loss.
Alpine 3 Stars
1 - Filip Prikryl
2 - Mikhail Denisov
3 - Josh Lawrence
Saint John returns home Sunday at 2PM to take on the Halifax Mooseheads in their final regular season home game of the season. Tickets are available at the Harbour Station Box Office and online at www.harbourstation.ca.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2019
- Eagles Clipped by Islanders in Shootout - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
- Beauregard and Sparkes Shine, Isles Nab Shootout Victory in Cape Breton - Charlottetown Islanders
- Rookie Power Launches Sea Dogs Past Titan 5-1 - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Biggest Weekend of the Season Begins Tonight for Isles - Charlottetown Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saint John Sea Dogs Stories
- Sea Dogs Awarded First Overall Selection in 2019 QMJHL Entry Draft
- Saint John to Host Game 1 of 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series
- Campoli, Cajkovic and Deakin-Poot Big Winners at Year End Awards
- Rookie Power Launches Sea Dogs Past Titan 5-1
- David "DK" Kelly Passes Away at 40