Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Defenceman Handed out as 2019-20 Year-End Awards Presented by Great Western Brewing Continue
Prince Albert, SK - The Prince Albert Raiders announced the winner of two more of their 2019-20 Year-End Awards Presented By Great Western Brewing on Saturday.
The first award of the day was the George Cowie Award as Rookie of the Year Presented By Broda Construction, which was won by Ilya Usau.
Usau signed with the Raiders during this year's training camp. In his debut season in the WHL, he scored 22 goals and added 30 assists in 58 games to lead the Raiders in rookie scoring and finish fifth among freshmen in the league.
During the season, Usau missed time to represent Belarus at the 2020 IIHF World Under-20 Championship Division 1A tournament, picking up a goal and two assists.
Earlier this month, Usau was ranked 108th among North American skaters in NHL Central Scouting's final rankings for the 2020 NHL Draft.
Last Five Winners of the George Cowie Award as Rookie of the Year
2018-19: Kaiden Guhle and Ozzy Wiesblatt
2017-18: Justin Nachbaur
2016-17: Cole Fonstad
2015-16: Parker Kelly
2014-15: Rylan Parentau and Simon Stransky
Saturday's awards wrapped up with the presentation of the Jim Neilson Award as Most Valuable Defenceman Presented By North Star Signs. This year's winners were Kaiden Guhle and Zack Hayes.
Guhle and Hayes anchored the Raiders' top pairing for most of the season.
In his sophomore season, Guhle led all Raiders' blueliners in scoring with 11 goals and 29 assists. The Sherwood Park, AB product was the top-ranked WHL player and eighth among North American skaters NHL Central Scouting's final rankings for the NHL Draft.
Hayes wrapped up his WHL career with a career-high seven goals and 16 assists. He also tied for the team lead with a plus-37 rating. His 68 penalty minutes incurred were the fewest of his WHL career. Earlier this month, Hayes signed an AHL contract with the Vegas Golden Knights organization.
Last Five Winners of the Jim Neilson Award as Most Valuable Defenceman
2018-19: Brayden Pachal
2017-18: Vojtech Budik
2016-17: Vojtech Budik
2015-16: Brendan Guhle and Jesse Lees
2014-15: Sawyer Lange
Tomorrow, the Raiders will share messages from their graduating 20-year-old players. The awards will conclude on Monday as the final two are announced.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2020
- How We Were Built - 2016 Edition - Winnipeg Ice
- Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Defenceman Handed out as 2019-20 Year-End Awards Presented by Great Western Brewing Continue - Prince Albert Raiders
- Cole, Garin and Dru Share 2019-2020 My96 Rookie of the Year Award - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Cole and Parker Earn 2019-2020 Cliff Bast Memorial Best Defenceman Award Presented by the Medicine Hat Mall - Medicine Hat Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince Albert Raiders Stories
- Raiders Select Shyla in CHL Import Draft
- Crocker Invited to Hockey Canada's National Under-17 Development Camp
- Guhle Invited to Canada's National Junior Team Sport Chek Summer Development Camp
- Allan Named to Hockey Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp
- Raiders Unveil 50th Season Logo