Rockets Take 11 in 2017 WHL Bantam Draft
The Kelowna Rockets added 11 prospects to the list of young players on Thursday in Calgary at the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft.
Kelowna opened the draft without a pick in the first round having traded that pick to the Prince Albert Raiders as part of the exchange for forward Reid Gardiner this year at the trade deadline. With their first pick in the draft coming in the second round, 39th overall, the Rockets selected forward Ethan Bowen of Chilliwack, BC. The 5'11, 157 pound forward recorded 33 goals and 62 points in just 29 games this season with his Yale Hockey Academy Bantam Prep team. He also added 10 goals and 11 assists in six games during the John Reid Bantam tournament. General Manager Bruce Hamilton said this player fell into the Rockets lap.
"We're thrilled that we got to draft this player. We had him ranked much higher than where we picked him," said Hamilton. "We're excited to introduce him to our coaching staff and to our players. He could be a strong player for our organization for years to come."
The Rockets selected four centre's, two wingers, four defencemen, and one goalie at the draft of players born in 2002. All in all, Assistant General Manager Lorne Frey says the it was a good draft day.
"Overall the day went really well. We felt we were fortunate to have a couple players available that we didn't think would be and it worked out in our favour," Frey said. "Now we'll focus on getting those players to training camp and comfortable with our organization."
Here is a list of the Rockets bantam draft picks:
2nd round, 39th overall. Ethan Bowen - 5'111/2, 157lbs - Centre - Chilliwack, BC - Yale Hockey Academy Bantam Prep
3rd round, 61st overall. Ethan Ernst - 5'10, 160lbs - Centre - Weyburn, SK - Notre Dame Hounds Bantam Prep
4th round, 71st overall. Cole Carrier - 5'101/2, 173lbs - Centre - Strathcona, AB - Sherwood Park Flyers Bantam AAA
4th round, 83rd overall. Rylan Donald - 5'101/2, 152lbs - Defenceman - Star City, SK - North East Wolfpack Bantam AAA
5th round, 106th overall. Kaeden Watkins - 6'5, 175lbs - Defenceman - Saskatoon, SK - Saskatoon Generals Bantam AA
6th round, 127th overall. Jake Poole - 6'0, 175lbs - Forward - McAuley, MB - Yellowhead Chiefs Bantam AAA
7th round, 149th overall. James Bohn - 5'11, 179lbs - Defenceman - Burnaby, BC - Pursuit of Excellence Hockey Academy Bantam Prep
8th round, 157th overall. Cole Tisdale - 5'10, 169lbs - Goalie - Lethbridge, AB - Lethbridge Golden Hawks Bantam AAA
9th round, 182nd overall. Steven Kesslering - 5'71/2, 149lbs - Forward - Yorkton, SK - Weyburn Wings Bantam AA
9th round, 193rd overall. Robert Kinkaid - 5'111/2, 160lbs - Defenceman - Barrhead, AB - St. Albert Sabres Bantam AAA
10th round, 199th overall. Brody Wilson - 5'111/2, 154lbs - Centre - Birtle, MB - Yellowhead Chiefs Bantam AAA
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 4, 2017
- Silvertips Select 13 Prospects in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets Take 11 in 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Silvertips Select Defenseman Ronan Seeley with the 20th Overall Selection in the 2017 WHL Bantam Dra - Everett Silvertips
- First-Rounder Seth Jarvis Highlights Hawks' Bantam Draft - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Draft for Future in 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Tri-City Americans
- T-Birds Select Payton Mount in First Round of Bantam Draft - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Blazers Select 11 Players in 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Kamloops Blazers
- WHL Completes 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - WHL
- WHL to Host 2017 WHL Bantam Draft Thursday in Calgary - WHL
- WHL Recognizes 2016-17 Award Winners - WHL
- Chiefs' 2017 Class Headlined by Jack Finley at Sixth Overall - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Select 10 Players in 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Prince Albert Raiders
- Regina Pats Make 10 Selections at the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft - Regina Pats
- Hurricanes Conclude 2017 Bantam Draft - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Rebels Make Nine Bantam Draft Selections - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets Select Forward Ethan Bowen with 1st Pick in Bantam Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Giants Draft Forward and Defenceman in Second Round - Vancouver Giants
- Spokane Picks Jack Finley Sixth Overall in Bantam Draft - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kelowna Rockets Stories
- Hockey Is Back as the 2018 Kelowna Rockets Rookie Camp Starts Monday Followed by Main Camp
- Korczak Wins Gold with Canada at Hlinka Gretzky Cup
- Korczak Named to Canada's Hlinka Gretzky Cup Roster
- Rockets Move McGauley to Broncos
- Rockets Select RD Lassi Thomson in CHL Import Draft