River Catsâ?? offense shakes funk, belts four homers in win
Albuquerque, NM - The Sacramento River Cats (23-26) snapped their three-game losing streak and broke out of their offensive funk, taking down the Albuquerque Isotopes (24-26) 10-6 in the series opener in New Mexico.
Sacramento exploded for 10 runs on 16 hits tonight in Albuquerque after scoring just one run over their last two games. They also launched four home runs on Saturday following their four-game series with Salt Lake in which they hit just two. Outfielder Mike Gerber broke a 27-inning home run drought for the River Cats with his solo blast to left field in the third inning. The River Cats are now 20-15 when hitting a home run this season. The other home runs in this game came from Aramis Garcia, Anthony Garcia, and Levi Michael.
Right-hander Enderson Franco showed flashes of brilliance on the mound, striking out a season-high nine batters in his five innings of work. He also tied his season-high by throwing a season-high 94 pitches (68 strikes). At one point Franco retired 10 straight and earned his second victory of the season.
Sacramento will look to build off this performance in game two of four, turning to right-hander Yoanys Quiala (1-2, 5.40). Albuquerque will go with right-hander Tim Melville (2-1, 1.76). First pitch is set for 5:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM.
- Starter Enderson Franco tied a team-high for strikeouts this season fanning nine Isotope batters. Franco's career high is 10, which he accomplished last year while with the Mississippi Braves.
- Former River Cats outfielder Mike Yastrzemski made his Major League debut on Saturday against the Arizona Diamondbacks, starting in left field. He went 0-3 at the plate with two strikeouts and a run scored.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 25, 2019
- Sandoval and De Horta Combine for Shutout - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Open Homestand with 10-6 Loss to River Cats - Albuquerque Isotopes
- River Catsâ?? offense shakes funk, belts four homers in win - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Silence the Sounds 11-5 - Round Rock Express
- Misiewicz Earns First Triple-A Win as Rainiers Claim Opener over Bees - Tacoma Rainiers
- Missions Whitewash 'Birds - San Antonio Missions
- 10,041 Jam AutoZone Park Saturday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Drops Series Opener to Round Rock - Nashville Sounds
- Diaz Powers 'Cakes to Fourth Straight Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (19-28) vs. Round Rock Express (28-19) - Nashville Sounds
- Tacoma Splits Four-Game Series After Defeat against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-25) vs San Antonio Missions (28-20) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes vs. Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Fresno topples Tacoma 9-6 as Hernandez continues HR tear - Fresno Grizzlies
- Griffin, Chasers Ice Iowa 6-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Isotopes Edge Aviators in 10 Innings in Series Finale - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Beede's gem goes for naught in 1-0 loss to Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Allen, Chihuahuas Freeze Reno Bats - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Allen's Gem Silences Reno Bats - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Howard comes through again as River Cats walk off
- River Cats take series despite dropping finale
- Howard's walk-off hit helps River Cats win fourth in a row
- Green's two homers lift River Cats to victory
- River Cats Welcome Storm Chasers, Cubs for Father's Day Weekend